Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbow noise

Old 02-16-2010, 07:21 AM
Spike

Default Crossbow noise

Some talk about quieting crossbows with limbsavers. Just wondering if alot of the noise is actually coming from the string going moving along the rail. Maybe a limbsaver on each side of the rail would deaden that sound.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:43 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

The noise starts at the limb tips. So start your efforts there(I don't mean put limb savers there).
Nothing wrong with lowering noise in a crossbow as long as the cost is not too great to the individual. You will never get it lowered enough that a deer within shooting range will not hear it but you may get it to a point where you don't spook them 50 yards away in the woods and you can get them quiet enough to make shooting them more pleasurable for you and your neighbors.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default noise

Any noise reduction would be nice, but with most games excellent hearing, they still will hear any crossbow fire.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

My last coyote was dead before he heard it,love that Ten Point!
Old 02-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Spike

I put some limbsavers on the crossbow to quiet the crossbow down. I lost a little speed but I'm not worried about losing a little speed. So far I've shot 3 deer with my TenPoint Titan crossbow and the longest one shot was at 30 yards and no deer never jumped my string so I guess my crossbow is quiet. :groupwave
Old 02-17-2010, 04:11 AM
Typical Buck

check out the bowhunting forum - go to page 11 - then click on interesting video and watch it. it's a test between limbsaver and bowjax. bowjax definitely has alot more vibration and noise reduction. i have always used limbsaver and it does a good job, but after seeing that video i'm going to give bowjax a try. also with the speed of cb's nowadays, the bolt seems to get to the deer before they react -for the most part, imo. and you usually will only get one shot at deer anyways. hope this helps!
Old 02-21-2010, 03:46 PM
Spike

I put a piece of hose around the foot stirrup and electrical taped it, that pretty much got rid of the "TWANG". I was surprised how much louder the crossbow was compared to my Browning Illusion compound I have heard that limbsavers take away some speed not sure how much.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:55 AM
Spike

I shoot a Bowtech Stryker and don't worry about noise! Its already there before the deer knew what hit them!! 14 pointer, (2) 8 pointers taken, 7 pointer taken with it
Old 03-15-2010, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks "damjr" for then hint. I'll try that for sure. I know for a fact that is a major source of the noise with my set-up.

Not to sound picky here, but unless one is using a X-Bow that can launch an arrow in excess of the speed of sound (about 1125 fps), the critter will hear the sound before the bolt hits. However, the high velocity launches capable by most of the quality X-Bows, realistically in the 300 fps range, many times the bolt is into or through before the critter can react fast enough and move far enough to cause a bad hit. At 20 yards the bolt takes about .20 seconds to arrive. That is pretty quick !
Old 03-20-2010, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by damjr
I put a piece of hose around the foot stirrup and electrical taped it, that pretty much got rid of the "TWANG". I was surprised how much louder the crossbow was compared to my Browning Illusion compound I have heard that limbsavers take away some speed not sure how much.
Good idea, the hose thing. I use camo cloth tape to do thee same.
Limbsavers out on the limbs of my Vortex cost me 8 fps, and didn't make it much quieter. I think some of the noise is coming from the fast movement of the string.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.