Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
New Scorpyd crossbow for 2010 >

New Scorpyd crossbow for 2010

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

New Scorpyd crossbow for 2010

Old 01-27-2010, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by coyote170
I'll stay with my Defender no since of adventure any more
I gueee thats what 70 does to ya!

Heck, don't let that stop you, Coyote !
Life is short for all of us and we're a long time dead.
Get one and enjoy it.
I highly recommend it.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Paul what you and Marty don't know is that Marty needs one bad!
Old 01-28-2010, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like it has Hawke's new scope on it.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

If my wife see's this post Im DEAD!!!!!
Old 01-29-2010, 04:27 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by coyote170
If my wife see's this post Im DEAD!!!!!
Probably more like slightly alive. Marty, you got to learn to be a half full guy not a half empty type of guy, you may be 70 but you can still learn, especially when there's pain involved! LOL!
Old 01-29-2010, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

Exclamation It does look like the new Hawke 30mm scope, saxman1.

Here's the best pic of the new 165 bow to date.
Moon was kind enough to take it for me at the ATA show.
Thanks, Moon !

Last edited by Sagittarius; 01-29-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Dnk
Probably more like slightly alive. Marty, you got to learn to be a half full guy not a half empty type of guy, you may be 70 but you can still learn, especially when there's pain involved! LOL!
Im thinking,sold a four wheeler,you can only ride one at a time
so better to invest in something that aint gonna throw me on
my head!
Old 01-30-2010, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

Looks really neat!!
Old 10-26-2010, 09:16 AM
Spike

Default First Hunt with Scorpyd RDT 165

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83JiiAv2xpk

After discovering a recent law change allowing crossbows during bow season in Texas, I decided to purchase a crossbow. I researched crossbows online and had narrowed it down to two bows (didn't run across anything on the Scorpyd). I went to BassPro to purchase either the latest Bowtech or the top of the line Excalibur. BassPro didn't have either bow in stock. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I asked the employee in the archery dept about the two bows and was told the Bowtech had been returned several times due to defects so I scratched it off the list. The Excalibur could be ordered but the other Excalibur bows appeared to be very wide which could be a problem in tight blinds.

Since I was new to crossbows, I asked the employee what was the best crossbow they sold. That's the first time I heard of the Scorpyd and how this employee wanted to sell his ten point to get one. He took me to his computer (in BassPro shop) and showed me the Scorpyd web site. At first glance, I thought it looked more like something from Star Trek. He wrote down the name Scorpd on a piece of paper and I left to research it online.

It took a while before I realized he had left the y out of the name but even then didn't find much online. I read these post and several others along with some reviews on You tube and couldn't find any negative comments or reviews. In fact everyone that had one seemed to love it. In comparison test, nothing could touch the new Scorpyd RDT 165.

Here is one comparison test result.

CROSSBOWS 2010
NAME TYPE DRAW SPEED (feet ENERGY (foot
WEIGHT per second) pounds)
(pounds)
Arrow Precision
Inferno Wildfire Recurve 225 330 103
Barnett
Buck Commander Compound 175 365 129
Carbon Express
Covert XB-3.5 Series Compound 200 350 115
Crosman
CenterPoint HEX Compound 150 300 88
Darton
Serpent Compound 170 320 95
Excalibur
Axiom Recurve 175 305 73
Horton
Team Realtree
Ultra-Lite Express Compound 175 330 101
Maximus
Bone Splitter 225 Recurve 225 370 116
Parker
Tornado HP 165 Compound 165 330 103
PSE
TAC-10i Compound 145 340-350 109-116
Scorpyd Compound
RDT-165 Reverse Draw 165 425 160
Stryker
Strykeforce Compound 190 385 140
TenPoint
Turbo XLT Compound 180 315 92.5
Wicked Ridge
Warrior Compound 165 285 75.8

The full report can be found at

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/A+year...ty-a0226378998

I contacted Scorpyd and Jim Kempf answered the phone. Jim is one of the nicest CEO's you could ever meet. I told him I didn't have a clue and he set me up. He does try to push the 125 as it is an adequate bow that is still probably faster than most but I told him I wanted his latest greatest fastest bow. I knew from my compound days that faster is flatter. Once I told Jim when I needed to bow to make a hunt, he rush shipped it right in time.

First you need to know that the 165 DOES NOT have the anti-dry fire on it. Turns out a couple small and apparently nimble hunters did not **** the 165 all the way. When they heard the first click, they stopped pulling the string but it was not fully ****ed. Although it was physically impossible to set the safety at this point they reported having the safety on. After a short period the crossbow dry-fired.

Unlike other bows, Jim will replace the string and cams from dry-fires, and still warrant his bows against defects. It takes more than that to damage his top of the line limbs. With the dry fire mechanism off the bow, the first click you hear is the sear setting when it's fully ****ed. You know it's fully ****ed if you can set the safety. The safety will not set if the sear has not dropped.

The only modification I made was with the new Hawke 30 scope. I opted out of the $200 dollar upgraded scope because the scope has variable powers (which once moved moves all your pins other than the zero hair out of range). It also has an adjustable speed dial to let you move the pins to preset ranges based on the speed of your bow. However, the Scorpyd shoots outside of the available speed ranges so you would still be trying to get close and hoping you don't accidentally move your zoom or speed adjustment before your shot.

The Hawke MAP is a 3 power scope (which is all you need) that has a program which allows you to make adjustments with ranges in the program before you shoot the bow. I have the twenty pin set at thirty. At that setting, the bolt doesn't hit the peak of the trajectory line on the scope and the 30 pin is dead on at 45 yards. I haven't shot it past 45 yards yet but the 40 pin should be on at 61 yards according to the program.

I had only shot the bow a few times when I took it on a hunt. About twenty minutes after I settled in, I was lucky enough to have a spike come up and feed exactly thirty yards from my stand. I set a camera right right next to the left cam and videoed the shot. The bow was really quiet and the deer in the other senderos kept right on milling around until I came down to recover the spike.

I would highly recommend Jim Kempf's Scorpyd RDT 165 crossbow to both novice (like me) and experienced crossbow hunters.

Check out the shot on my You Tube video at the following link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83JiiAv2xpk
Old 10-26-2010, 09:31 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

You bought the most advanced crossbow out there! Congratulations!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.