Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

crossbow range

Old 12-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Buckeyefootball
It depends to a degree on the person pulling the trigger, but not as far as some think. Depending on many things about 40-60 yards. Buckeyefootball
Buckeye, you don't having a flucking clue what you are talking
about ! WTF?? 40 - 60yds?? Here you go again giving people bad advice. Why don't you go back to the village that is looking for you and stay off ANY and all crossbow forums!!
Old 12-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Spike

Wheater it's a vertical or horizontal bow makes no difference on the maximum range. What makes a critical difference is the accuracy of the range estimite. Deer seldom pose at 10 yard increments and at ranges beyond 35 the range estimite must be accurate to the yard so that means it must be measured. Also the equipment used must be capable of this kind of accuracy. Any range beyond 50 would require a estimite to be accurate to feet and inches so IMO these incredibly long shots that you read about are just pure luck.

Last edited by fishbait; 12-12-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:28 AM
Spike

If one shoots a compound you know the effective range of a crossbow. New compounds acually shoot farther than a crossbow cause a bow has a draw of 30 inchs or so and crossbow has a 14 inch power stroke. Deer can jump a string with either so I never shoot over 30 yards tops with either kind of bow. I try to keep under 20 yards where possible
Old 12-13-2009, 07:34 AM
Spike

It depends to a degree on the person pulling the trigger, but not as far as some think. Depending on many things about 40-60 yards. Buckeyefootball
You are one that tries to fuel compound bow hunters against crossbow hunters? Think you need to go back and stay at your P.E.T.A. forum. Forty to sixty yards is rediculas and no true hunter would ever say something like that. I would suppose you are one that hunts coyotes with a pelet gun!
Old 12-13-2009, 08:59 AM
Typical Buck

Thirty yards is my limit for both my compounds and crossbow.
I do believe my Scorpyd is up to the task at 40 to hit the vitals but don't like the energy level at that distance.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Banned

Thumbs down

Buckeyebozo: Nobody here, but you ,is talking about maximum range!!!! This thread is about Effective Range.

You continue to post irrelevant, incorrect information and give wrong advice. Your are a menace to crossbow hunters every where!
Old 12-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buckeye...

You've shot exactly one deer with your crossbow, and that with a lucky shot - by your own admission - allegedly at 42 yards, so now you seem to think that's not only routine but have stretched it by some 50%. You're flaming the anti crossbow flames with that moronic babble, Hunter2, or whatever you're calling yourself on this forum, and giving aspiring cross bowers the wrong impression. Just stick to telling us about your hunting prowess, like how you got busted ... while texting in a tree stand.

Last edited by Cossack; 12-13-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Speed of sound =1125 fps. 40-60 may be doable on [b]some[/] animals other than white tail deer. I shot a rabbit at 51 yds w/ a blunt once when preparing to leave a deer stand. I had watched it for 1/2 hour or so, ranged it, and still made a lucky shot.

The effective range can be stretched some on elk, moose or mulies, imho, but not white tail deer. They all deserve respect.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

I was speaking of a range that is one that is only in perfect conditions that rarely happen. I have let game go at half that distance because of what I know to be true. A person that shoots abow that shoots 200 FPS vs say 350 fps has very different range and room for error.I have hunted with a bow for about 20 years and the principals of arrow flight are the same. Have a great day. Buckeyefootball
Old 12-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was speaking of a range that is one that is only in perfect conditions that rarely happen. I have let game go at half that distance because of what I know to be true. A person that shoots abow that shoots 200 FPS vs say 350 fps has very different range and room for error.I have hunted with a bow for about 20 years and the principals of arrow flight are the same. Have a great day. Buckeyefootball
You'ld be better served keeping an eye on the bottom of your riser on that revolution than posting questionable info. Look for a teeny tiny crack right in the middle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.