Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
How bad are Barnett crossbows? >

How bad are Barnett crossbows?

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

How bad are Barnett crossbows?

Old 09-28-2015, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

i had a ten point lazer hp, sold it and bought a barnett ghost 410 last Dec... so far its been a great bow, lots of shots, super fast and dead on!!! Great Bow!!!!!
Old 10-05-2015, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

no issues (so far) with my Barnett Raptor. Got it just before the season last year. Shot it about 2 dozen times. Killed one deer. Shot it a lot this summer.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

Have a barnett quad 400 it shoots very consistent. I do believe it is a bit heavy but I use it on stand not stalking. The bow was purchased around 09 or 10 and has not failed. I would recommend the bow without reservation. Just like I recommend my Hoyt compound and TC Encore.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is my personal experience with Barnett Ghost 410:
1st bow: missing limb rockers, which I replaced after a long wait. Replaced the cables as the strands started breaking. Barnett had wrapped the cables around each other instead of laying one above the other. Looking at the stock cables: at the bottom of the "Y" there is a loop where the second part of the cable is looped to make a complete cable. Both cables are built this way. One does not build cables like this. The cable should be one piece. Barnett string is not served tight enough, this is why one is getting serving separation, and if not replaced immediately, breakage. Barnett does not use the proper size cam bearings. The inner diameter is 4.83 mm while the axle diameter is 4.72 mm, a difference of 0.11 mm which results in a sloppy-loose fit. Due to over stressing the limbs when the cables were improperly installed by the manufacture, the limbs on one side failed and later one set of cam bearings. I received replacement limbs but I replaced both sides for safety reasons. When the limbs start to break, they break from the inside outwards. I ordered cam bearings from a dealer Barnett recommended. One bearing was broke with absolutely no grease, while it's mate had a broken flange. I had to purchase bearings and cams (only bearings were needed) as the dealer did not have an order going into Barnett. The replacement bearings were the same over size so I would not use them. Instead I replaced the bearings with a full one piece bushing. I did both sides, again for safety reasons. Barnett cables and string were replaced with 60X which is very high quality and has excellent customer service. Keeping the string and cables well lubricated and a light coat on the rail which I had done with Barnett's original set, I now have over 1500 shots on the 60X set with absolutely no stretch or serving wear or separation. This crossbow is timed, cam leveled, proper axle to axle measurement and shoots the stock Barnett Head Hunter arrow-point combination of 432 grain at 400 feet per second using the basic 400 grain formula and shooting through a Pro Digital Chronograph. This bow came from a dealer but the box had never been opened and the box was not damaged in shipping. There was no packing to prevent damage to the bow and accessories. The scope was in it's own box (not mounted) but an arrow had punctured the box and broke the clear lens of the scope cover. If I had sent this bow back each time for Barnett to repair it would have made 5 trips with 4-6 week turn around each time.
2nd bow, identical to the first. This was purchased why waiting for parts and for Barnett to make up there mine whether to ship parts. This crossbow came with the scope mounted and protection foam on the scope, no other protective packing. The riser had already been repaired as the stock cables and string were loaded with lubricant. Fresh out of the package, they do not come this way. The riser had never been installed on this stock as there was no marks on the bolt and no lube or marks on the rail etc. The axle to axle was to long, the cams were out of time and not leveled. I corrected all this and when I went to shoot, the speed was 386 feet per second which had to be corrected and now it to shoots 400 feet per second using the stock 22" Barnett Head Hunter arrows with the arrow-point combination of 432 grain. I have one piece bushings for the cams and the 60X string and cables for this cross bow.
I do my own repair work as repair work, parts etc. coming from Barnett or the recommended dealer are not acceptable. I am also a long ways from the dealer and much farther from Barnett. This brand and series of crossbow is excellent providing the proper parts and workmanship is used. If Barnett used the proper sizes bearings and good quality string and cables along with proper quality control, they would not have so many returns. I recently emailed "Matt" at Barnett with these same recommendations which I hope they will look into and this would help not only the dealers but also the customers. All the best.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

This is more than enough for me to stay away from them cause I have heard a lot of unhappy and unsatisfied customer stories.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:19 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by littlearrow
Here is my personal experience with Barnett Ghost 410:
1st bow: missing limb rockers, which I replaced after a long wait. Replaced the cables as the strands started breaking. Barnett had wrapped the cables around each other instead of laying one above the other. Looking at the stock cables: at the bottom of the "Y" there is a loop where the second part of the cable is looped to make a complete cable. Both cables are built this way. One does not build cables like this. The cable should be one piece. Barnett string is not served tight enough, this is why one is getting serving separation, and if not replaced immediately, breakage. Barnett does not use the proper size cam bearings. The inner diameter is 4.83 mm while the axle diameter is 4.72 mm, a difference of 0.11 mm which results in a sloppy-loose fit. Due to over stressing the limbs when the cables were improperly installed by the manufacture, the limbs on one side failed and later one set of cam bearings. I received replacement limbs but I replaced both sides for safety reasons. When the limbs start to break, they break from the inside outwards. I ordered cam bearings from a dealer Barnett recommended. One bearing was broke with absolutely no grease, while it's mate had a broken flange. I had to purchase bearings and cams (only bearings were needed) as the dealer did not have an order going into Barnett. The replacement bearings were the same over size so I would not use them. Instead I replaced the bearings with a full one piece bushing. I did both sides, again for safety reasons. Barnett cables and string were replaced with 60X which is very high quality and has excellent customer service. Keeping the string and cables well lubricated and a light coat on the rail which I had done with Barnett's original set, I now have over 1500 shots on the 60X set with absolutely no stretch or serving wear or separation. This crossbow is timed, cam leveled, proper axle to axle measurement and shoots the stock Barnett Head Hunter arrow-point combination of 432 grain at 400 feet per second using the basic 400 grain formula and shooting through a Pro Digital Chronograph. This bow came from a dealer but the box had never been opened and the box was not damaged in shipping. There was no packing to prevent damage to the bow and accessories. The scope was in it's own box (not mounted) but an arrow had punctured the box and broke the clear lens of the scope cover. If I had sent this bow back each time for Barnett to repair it would have made 5 trips with 4-6 week turn around each time.
2nd bow, identical to the first. This was purchased why waiting for parts and for Barnett to make up there mine whether to ship parts. This crossbow came with the scope mounted and protection foam on the scope, no other protective packing. The riser had already been repaired as the stock cables and string were loaded with lubricant. Fresh out of the package, they do not come this way. The riser had never been installed on this stock as there was no marks on the bolt and no lube or marks on the rail etc. The axle to axle was to long, the cams were out of time and not leveled. I corrected all this and when I went to shoot, the speed was 386 feet per second which had to be corrected and now it to shoots 400 feet per second using the stock 22" Barnett Head Hunter arrows with the arrow-point combination of 432 grain. I have one piece bushings for the cams and the 60X string and cables for this cross bow.
I do my own repair work as repair work, parts etc. coming from Barnett or the recommended dealer are not acceptable. I am also a long ways from the dealer and much farther from Barnett. This brand and series of crossbow is excellent providing the proper parts and workmanship is used. If Barnett used the proper sizes bearings and good quality string and cables along with proper quality control, they would not have so many returns. I recently emailed "Matt" at Barnett with these same recommendations which I hope they will look into and this would help not only the dealers but also the customers. All the best.
Really? All of those issues on new bows and you still call it excellent.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by EZKILL
EVEN PARKER IS HAVING SOME CROSSBOWS BLOW UP I WOULD GO FOR THE Excalibur BEST MADE .
As you mention Excalibur being the "BEST MADE", Excalibur only has the recurve type riser and string. There are no cams, cam bearings or cables to fail as compounds have. This is another reason Excalibur can give the warranty it does. Any company that builds an item with little or no moving parts can do this. With Excalibur there is no maintenance in comparison to compound cross bows. Personally I'm beginning to think people that purchased the Excalibur made the better choice. Some of the compound crossbows, once the higher grade parts are installed and properly set up, one will have good bows there as well. To me, no matter what price one pays for a crossbow, it should have good quality string, cables and the proper fitting cam bearings and better customer service. All the best.

Last edited by littlearrow; 11-28-2015 at 06:18 AM.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wayspr: Yes, once I replaced these poor quality parts, which I should not have had to do, this is now a high quality, very accurate shooting crossbow. It is sad when a customer as to rebuild a bow the way it should originally come from the Manufacturer. I have recently did research on some of the other crossbow brands that various forum members have recommended and they are using the same style cables Barnett uses, not built the proper way. Check them out and look in the area at the base of the "Y" near the serving. All the best.

Last edited by littlearrow; 11-28-2015 at 06:24 AM.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

liitlearrow, I agree with you. I have Buddy's that have Barnetts, no issues. I wouldn't buy one as I believe their are better at similar price points. For the average guy that'll shoot their bow 10x before the season, maybe sling a couple during it, low end Barnetts are probably fine. No way would I have done all that you did to a new bow. Reality is, Barnett sells more bows than probably all the rest combined. Average folks with good experiences don't go on the net and say so. A guy with issues posts on every forum that will have him. From a pure #s perspective, and understanding that people are far more likely to complain than compliment, we hear about issues with Barnett more than most other bows.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:34 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by DaGriz
Tel him to call David at Wyvern 603-659-0575. Best phone call he can ever make.

As far as How bad Barnetts are: There isn't enough space to list all the lousy things about them on here. Buying a cheap Barnett will get him nothing but cheap junk which will bring lots of problems !

He can look at a good used TenPoint, Parker or Excal.
Barnett crossbows do not deserve the bad press they get, you get what you pay for and you get quite a lot from Barnett. We have been selling them for over 10 years with very few returns. That said they would have far less problems if they spent a bit of money on the packaging.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.