Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
new Barnett Penetrator >

new Barnett Penetrator

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

new Barnett Penetrator

Old 09-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

The problem is the "performance vs price point" issue. There are too many people out there that want a 375fps bow but dont want to pay more than $399 for it. You can put 375fps limbs on a $399 bow, but it will not hold that much vibration without failure. That is why the Predators limbs are dipped in rubber....to absorb the vibration. If the riser was made of something stronger than a 3 muskateers candy bar it would probably be one of the quietest crossbows out there, but because the rest of the bow cant handle the power it is pretty average and alot fail due to the shock on the riser. If that same bow shot 325-330 the failure rate would drop dramaticaly, but then some people would complain that they cant get a "fast" bow for what they want to spend because "speed is the hunters friend"....You can put a Corvette engine into a used Hyundai and it will go pretty fast till the car falls apart, but it is still not a Corvette, and if you want the performace of a Corvette, you have to buy a Corvette.

Wyvern
Old 09-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Spike

Wow! Hi everyone I was the guy that posted the original question. It seems that everyone has missed the point. My question was does anyone know of a predator or in my case a penetrator blowing up? I have read of other models but not this one in particular. The prod on this xbow does resemble the design of some of the better quality xbows. I wonder if this might be an improvement?
Old 09-20-2009, 04:08 AM
Banned

It's no improvement!! I have seen three Predators where the limbs have splintered at full draw! One person had to have some splinter fragments removed from his forehead. He is not a very happy and I believe is is pursuing a lawsuit against Barnett.
I can't strees enough how it is a very foolish decision to buy a Barnett. If you shoot a lot, sooner than later you will have problems. Especially with the faster shooting bows.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:20 AM
Spike

I would love to see pictures of those splintered limbs. I would figure that the rubber would keep them from releasing fibers.

Were you able to see the three layers of lamination? Did the top skin separate from the core of the limb? Did they split at the axle?

Since you saw three of them personally did they have any common failures?
Old 09-22-2009, 09:24 AM
Spike

Default Barnett Predator

I recently purchased the Barnett Predator from Cabelas. On the seventh shot the string snapped. It sounded like a gun going off. Fortunately no injuries, but a ringing in my ear for awhile. I sent it back and tried to get another one, but they were all sold out. I settled for a Barnett Penetrator from Dicks, which shoots very nice. Just wanted people to know, so they wear hearing protection, as well as eye protection when shooting one.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

I had a barnett quad 400 about 3yrs ago it shot great the first year had a new string put on the following and it broke and splintered both limbs after a day of hunting I was shooting into my block when it happened needless to say it was scary. The scope is still good I never got it repaired nor will I, hopefully they have addressed the problems by now. I do have one friend that has used revolution for about 3 years now with no problems after he got the safety replaced they just swapped him out a new one.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let me put it this way very simple! if Barnetts top of the line most expensive CB breaks all the time! what about the quality of the models under it ? think about this! i have been shooting CB's fer some yrs now & i wouldn't touch one. scared it will break just looking at it
Old 10-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by redline002
Wow! Hi everyone I was the guy that posted the original question. It seems that everyone has missed the point. My question was does anyone know of a predator or in my case a penetrator blowing up? I have read of other models but not this one in particular. The prod on this xbow does resemble the design of some of the better quality xbows. I wonder if this might be an improvement?
My father, brother and I have Predators and have had NO problems. We have used them for several years now and shot them regularly. I bought my son the new Penetrator and he loves it! He has shot it about 100 times now and has had NO problems with it. We love our Barnetts and the shoot thru foot stirrup is something I think other XB companies should try to follow because it looks very aggressive. We love the performance and looks of our barnetts.

We have killed deer, wild hogs and one elk with them. My family loves barnett. I have friends who have ten points, hortons, parkers, etc... who have had problems with their bows. A crossbow is a mechanical device and can fail no matter what the brand. Pick the one that you like and would be the best XB for you. I think the Barnett Penetrator is a very good shooting quality crossbow and it looks cool too. What more could you ask for except maybe one for Christmas, huh?
Old 10-05-2009, 03:27 AM
Banned

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes There has to be a few Barnnetts that stay together. Not many, but there are a few. So some people get lucvky and get one that stays togeher. Just like playing the lottery A very few people win and others lose!
When owning a Barnett, the odds are really stacked against the bows lasting and being reliable for any length of time.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

Funny how few (VERY) jumped on Bowtech when all of their triggers needed replacing a while back (early Desert Strykers). Or the guy currently complaining of of his Bowtech limbs blowing up...

I fully understand that Barnett isn't a top of the line bow. And I also understand that there is most probably MANY more Barnetts in the field than most realize. So yea...by a count of bows sold...there will be problems.

I currently have five different brands of bows. (and yea, one is a Barnett and two are Bowtechs)
Not a problem with any of'em.

I get a kick out of the internet.. A great place to bash the little guy...

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.