Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
still confused on which broadhead to use >

still confused on which broadhead to use

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

still confused on which broadhead to use

Old 09-11-2009, 06:04 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Strikers, Montecs, Magnus SS Snuffers, Slick Tricks, Spitfires are all solid performers. Some have some reports of being finiky like the Rage(blades come loose from the o rings), Muzzys(have POI difference between field point and BH) etc but most work well and most have varied results but from what I've seen and read the first 5 that I mentioned seems to be the best to start with. Goodluck, it's confusing. Don't put too much stock in negative comments about BHs.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

Bloodrunners are a good head but are not a good choice for crossbows. They can possibly open when the bow fires (they do close for flight) because of the high force applied to the arrow. If they open they could contact the bow and mess with arrow flight. I would highly recommend the Hellrazors or the Spitfires, both work well!

Last edited by ACPOSSETIM; 09-11-2009 at 06:41 PM. Reason: forgot to explain why they aren't the best for crossbows
Old 09-16-2009, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by paparrucho
Just go for the G5 100 gr. Strikers, you will not be disappointed, they fly the same as field points, are very tough and make quite big devastating wounds. You can’t go wrong with them. It may be helpful to go and have a look at the reviews that buyers have placed on them at cabelas and bass pro web pages.
I just bought these this year. Thout I would give it a shot
Old 09-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Spike

Default Rage rage rage

Easy RAGE 3 blade. Shoot straight (50 yds) Are devastating on a deer.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's a lot of good broadheads out there. Like someone else said, it's not rocket science. Just make sure you practice with one of the broadheads you are going to use for hunting to make sure your point of impact is going to be the same (this usually isn't necessary with mechanicals). I've used several different heads (NAP thunderheads, Cabelas Lazer Strike mechs, Slick Tricks)- all worked just fine as long as I put the arrow where it needed to be.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think there is a BH out there that won't do it's job if you do yours.
Sure there may be rare Mech failure or a fixed that just planes all over the place but try out the BH's that you have. If they hit where you want them too than your all set.
I killed plenty of deer with the OLD Plucket's Bloodtrailer. Dull with no cut on contact tip and the blades were never very sharp. They still manged to slide in one side of the deer and out the other and that was one crappy BH...
Old 09-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Typical Buck

Standard Muzzy 4 blade, 100gr. broadheads. Done.