HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Help, need to order a new crossbow and need a final decision... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/300893-help-need-order-new-crossbow-need-final-decision.html)

RobertPCS 08-18-2009 12:42 PM

Help, need to order a new crossbow and need a final decision...

Due to an injury I am now able to use a crossbow in my state (Missouri). I have a Cabelas close, they have many available. I have read and re-read so many reviews and basically most seem like an advertisement rather than a objective review.

I am the first one to say I dont know enough about them to make a truly informed decision but I can say that:

1. With my vertical bows, speed is important. Not all important, accuracy is more important, but definitely impact energy is a major component. I want a humane clean kill every time.

2. I am willing to spend up to $900.00. I am willing to pay a little more for quality, if not I will end up wishing I had bought something a little better in 6 months.

3. Optics are worth spending money on in my opinion. I have never used a red dot scope, so I "feel" like I would be happier with a recital scope. Illuminated, I am guessing, is a major benefit when its nearly dark.

4. I am assuming that I will be ****ing this thing before walking to my stand....and I have read that a dryfire is REALLY bad with these things...can ruin a hunt. Therefore is a anti-dryfire feature a huge deal? I can certainly keep my finger off the bang button but sticks/twigs/etc can make strange things happen.

So I see three crossbows that seem to fit the bill. Help me pick one so I can pick it up.

Parker Cyclone Extreme

Barnett Preditor

Tenpoint Titan HLX

Several others are obviously there to: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...entId=cat21424

Thanks in advance for any advice you could give to a new crossbow owner!

Robert

DaGriz 08-18-2009 01:18 PM

Only you can make the decision for yoursel;f. The best advice you will get is to call David at Wyvern Creations 603-659-0575. He will give you the true facts and honest opinion s. The choice is really between the Ten Point and Parker Barnett has a 1 yr warranty and a lousy company history, not to mention the terrible reliabilty and dependability of their crossbows. The other two have lifetime warranty. Ten Point has excellent company history, great reliability and terrific customer service

Calling David is a phone call you'll never regret making!

Anti drive fire is worth it's weight in gold as far as I'm concerned. Both Parker and Ten Point have anti dri fire incorporrated in their trigger assemblies. The Ten Point Accu Draw 50 is another feature that is damn near a "can't do without'. It guarentees the string is ****ed evenly each and everytime, making ofr very consistent accuracy! Plus it reduces the ****ing weight by 50%.
Both Parker and Ten Point are super accurate! I personally give the edge to Ten Point and the Titan HLX is one great crossbow!!

coyote170 08-18-2009 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by DaGriz (Post 3411622)
Only you can make the decision for yoursel;f. The best advice you will get is to call David at Wyvern Creations 603-659-0575. He will give you the true facts and honest opinion s. The choice is really between the Ten Point and Parker Barnett has a 1 yr warranty and a lousy company history, not to mention the terrible reliabilty and dependability of their crossbows. The other two have lifetime warranty. Ten Point has excellent company history, great reliability and terrific customer service

Calling David is a phone call you'll never regret making!

Anti drive fire is worth it's weight in gold as far as I'm concerned. Both Parker and Ten Point have anti dri fire incorporrated in their trigger assemblies. The Ten Point Accu Draw 50 is another feature that is damn near a "can't do without'. It guarentees the string is ****ed evenly each and everytime, making ofr very consistent accuracy! Plus it reduces the ****ing weight by 50%.
Both Parker and Ten Point are super accurate! I personally give the edge to Ten Point and the Titan HLX is one great crossbow!!

X2:barmy:Great advice!

coyote170 08-18-2009 03:14 PM

I shoot a Ten Point Curve and a Ten Point Defender CLS both
are great, the best of both worlds!Hehe.:rock:

RobertPCS 08-19-2009 01:54 PM

Done! My CB is ordered!

I did call David, he was super helpful and I think I have a package on the way that will serve me well. Because I may only be able to use a crossbow hunting for one maybe two years due to my injury, I didnt want to spend way too much.

Here is what I ended up ordering:

TenPoint Titan HLX with ProView scope
Accudraw 50
9 Gold Tip Laser II bolts
Pack of NAP Spitfire XP Pro broadheads
Practice blades for the XP Pros
Quake Claw crossbow sling
Extra rail lube

Its a great start, I really enjoyed talking to David and feel that he was selling me what I needed not what he would make the most money on. That is rare and truly appreciated. Too often at places like Cabelas they are trying to sell what they already have set up, not what you really need and want.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Robert

coyote170 08-19-2009 03:25 PM

Enjoy your new bow keep us posted on how it goes!:barmy:

kmtpr 08-20-2009 06:33 AM

Robert, nice TenPoint and pkg. Looking forward to reading about your crossbow hunts. Good luck. :biggrin:

Cossack 08-20-2009 11:38 AM

Good choice. Enjoy your new toys.

jerseyjoe 08-21-2009 05:35 AM

Wyvern set me up with my Parker Tornado!!! Best Bday presemt I ever got!