Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Problem with PSE Crossbow >

Problem with PSE Crossbow

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Problem with PSE Crossbow

Old 08-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Spike

Default Problem with PSE Crossbow

Being a newcomer to the crossbow shooting world I purchased more on price than anything else. I bought a PSE Viper at 165 lb draw. It shoots good but the safety is directly in line with the string. This safety is a piece of metal that sticks out both sides of the rail so the bow can be used either handed. The problem with this is the safety has to be in the forward shoot position to allow the string to engage the trigger. When using the rope drawing device the hooks contact the safety bar and push it back to the safety position before the string engages not allowing it to engage. I have removed a little from each side of the safety that helps but without pulling outward and back the string will just not engage. This is not a show stopper but had I known about this before another model would have been purchased.

Last edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER; 08-16-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Would it help if you turned the hooks over?
Old 08-16-2009, 12:57 PM
Spike

No, turning the hooks over does not help. The safety is too directly in line with the top of the rail and either up or down the hooks are too long not to contact the safety. I can draw the bow but have to separate my hands as I pull the rope to clear the safety. When I called PSE and talked with a technician she would not offer any advice on what drawing mechanism to use. PSE does not make one and with this problem I can see why. Maybe till next year I will save my pennies and get one that is a bit more shooter friendly. At least this bow has taught me a few things to look for in a new bow. My reason for going to the crossbow is age and shoulder problems that caused too much pain to shoot. Drawing the crossbow by hand is out just because of that same reason. A crank device I would assume would cause the same problem as the rope. I am not willing to spend that much money just to find out.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Banned

One thing you might consider is to crimp a large speed nock on the string, one on each side of the barrel. Just far enough from center and away from the barrel to prevent the rope assist hooks from sliding so close that they catch the safety. They would have to be far enough from center that they do not interfer with the claw mechanism The down side is they may slow your arrow down a bit. The Red colored speed nocks would be big enough to do the job
Old 08-18-2009, 08:13 AM
Typical Buck

I always ****ed my pse copperhead by hand, others have asked me in the past why I dont use a ****ing rope. I never felt the need for one, but had given it a thought on getting one to see how it does. I had more hopes of it helping to center up my string, as after ****ing my string I always double checked it to make sure it was centered.

Good idea on the nocks, will give me something to think about if I decided to try out the rope.

Dave
Old 08-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Spike

I asked my local pro shop (they do not sell PSE) about putting nocksets on the string and they did not think it was a very good idea as the bow may fling them off and possibly back at the shooter. I have thought of building up the serving to keep the hooks from sliding all the way into the rail. If things get too tough pulling the rope the way I am presently doing it I will try either nocksets or the wrap. Thaks for all your suggestions.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Building up the serving that much will affect the speed of the arrow and possibly the arrow to string fit. Learn to **** it by hand OR get rid of it.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:38 AM
Banned

If you use the large nock sets put a piece of shrink tubing over them or a small piece of rubber electrical tape, after crimping them on. They should not come off. Bowtech uses them on the StrykeForce string and it is a lot stronger than the PSE. They may slow your arrow down a bit but not substantailly!

Last edited by DaGriz; 08-19-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Spike

Thanks Griz I think the nocksets would work. I am not too worried about losing a little arrow speed.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like PSE bows... But...

Didn't PSE just start selling XBOWS???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.