Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Is crossbow easyer to learn? >

Is crossbow easyer to learn?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Is crossbow easyer to learn?

Old 08-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default Is crossbow easyer to learn?

My son is 12 and I want to get him in the woods with his own XBow or Bow this year. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a new youths bow if he is not going to have the patience to learn. He has shoot my Xbow before and has done just fine with a shooting sticks. so what age did your kids start shooting a Xbow or Bow and what was the easyer one for them to learn.

Last edited by bushanic; 08-05-2009 at 03:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

Get him out there with the crossbow. If he's decent with it he may stand a better chance at getting something with it than learning something new. It's a little easier to learn but it still takes some patience. Kids do learn faster than adults, though, so if you or someone you know are good at vertical archery then it might not be a problem. It's getting close to the season so starting now with a bow would be prime.

Either way, if he starts with a crossbow and enjoys it, maybe next year or the year after he might get into a vertical bow. See how he likes both.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take him to a shop were he can try both and see witch one he is drawn too....Never to young to start just dont push it...
Old 08-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

Ok now I am in trouble. My daughter thinks I am leaving her out.

"he gets a bow and I don't"

let me explain :she lasted about 2hrs last time I took her with me. so I was not leaving her out I just thought she would not like it at this time in her life ( she just turned 14 ) not the coolest thing in her life to spend the day in the woods hunting with her dad. We did have a lot of fun on a spring turkey hunt we did together and that made my day.

With this added on -----what do you think about a xbow that can be set up for both of them. I know a riffle can be sighted in and two people can shoot it but can that be down with a xbow using a scope.

I am posting in CBN also.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default agreed

Originally Posted by ranger56528
Take him to a shop were he can try both and see witch one he is drawn too....Never to young to start just dont push it...
Agreed, and good quality time. Buckeyefootball
Old 08-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Spike

I started my son at 3yrs old. He took his first deer w/bow at age 7.
I started my daughter at age 7 she took her first deer at age 14 in a crossbow legal state, her first compound deer at age 16 (last year) she want's nothing more to do with the Xbow. Can't say I blame her.

Put me down for taking them to a shop where they can shoot both. There are bows that REALLY Grow these days. I would say your daughter will never need another, and your son won't for a long time. My daughter is still shooting her original Browning Micro-Midas.

Lastly, used compounds are dirt cheap and they kill just as dead. I would look online or in an "Ad Pad" paper for a used one for each of them. Again, be sure they fit. That is the most important thing. So, go find out what they like and what fits, then look for last years model someone elses kid thinks they don't want anymore. That's how I got my daughters. As for my son. I got him a new Micro-Midas then when he got up to needing a new bow, I got him a second hand one. From then on, his bows are my hand me downs. I used one a year and gave it to him. Good excuse to buy me a new one!!!

You can buy 2 used ones with accessories cheaper than you can set up one new one.

Whatever they decide, whatever you choose, FIND THE MONEY SOMEHOW!!! You have no idea how soon they will be off to school and not having time for you. This time together is worth every penny you can scrape up.....I know, I now have a 21 soon to be 22 yr old son and a 17yr old Senior in HS daughter.

Last edited by dryridge2; 08-05-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:30 PM
Spike

Having 3 kids of my own and now 6 grandkids I'd say if they express interest, fuel it. Yes it does cost money to do that but you may find a lifetime hunting partner. My oldest son and I are best hunting buddies and he is 40 now.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

What ever you do... Dont leave them alone in the woods with a crossbow!!!

Read a article a few years back about a father and son that were hunting... The father put his son in a tree stand and he went to his stand... The bow tryed to get out of his stand with the Xbow loaded and accidently shot him self... Made me sick and I really felt sorry for the dad... The article said the boy died in the fathers arms...