Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 will 100 grain broadhead work >

will 100 grain broadhead work

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

will 100 grain broadhead work

Old 06-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default will 100 grain broadhead work

I have another question since I am a first timer. In my owners manual, Parker says they now recommend a 100 grain point. Will a 100 grain broadhead be enough for deer? I have been shooting 100 grain field points out of my Buck Buster and they shoot good.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: will 100 grain broadhead work

Will a 100 grain broadhead be enough for deer?
There's more to the equation than just the bhead. I'm not a Parker guy, but think they have brass inserts now, which would raise the arrow's FOC enough that 100's are adequate. I'm guessing some here, but if they used or advised 125's in the past, it was probably w/ alum inserts.

The main effects of higher weight bheads are FOC and increased K.E. I'm of the opinion that [1] FOC is more critical w/ bheads than field points, [2] minor increases in K.E. are overkill, as most bows already have plenty for deer.

I've shot 3 Parkers at a show and can tell you for certain sharp bheads of about any type well placed = doomed deer.

Now's the time to tinker, lol. Have fun!
Old 06-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've hunted deer with two Parkers (as well as 3 Excals), 150 Terminator and Cyclone. Let me assure you that, if the 100gr head meets minimum weight requirements for your bow, it's more than enough for deer. My personal favorite is the Slick Trick. It's a 4 bladed terror that flies to the same point of aim as my field tips of the same weight.

PS The Cyclone requires a 125 gr head to meet min wt requirements.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

My dad has a Parker Terminator HP that he bought last year. The Parker arrows do have brass inserts. He is shooting a 125g Spitfire. It is accurate and consistent. 125g heads are probably over killand I am sure that the 100g heads would shoot just as well and there is a wider selection of broadheads at that weight. FWIW the Parker arrows come fletched withstraight fletching on them. I re-fletched his arrows with 2" Bhoning Blazers with a 4 degree right offset and the groups did tighten up some.

Bob
Old 07-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Horton Legacy 175. I used to shoot the 125 grain Thunderheads and they did a great job. In 2007 I switched to the 2 blade 100 grain Rage and I like those even better.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:50 AM
Fork Horn

"The Parker arrows do have brass inserts."

No...they do not. The old Parker arrows were Bemans and the new ones are Carbon Express, but neither have brass, they have aluminum. I, for example, when I sell a Parker I include Gold tip arrows which have a brass insert. With that heavier insert a 100gr tip works very well. With an aluminum insert you will be better off using a 125gr tip just to put more weight forward on the arrow so it flys better. The weight of the tip will not be a huge factor in its ability to cut, but if a heavier tip makes it more accurate then it is well worth the extra mass....
Wyvern
Old 07-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the correction, David! I was going off a post on another forum by a Parker guy. He was pushing the 'Red Hot's which seem to be $10 a pop w/o bheads?
Old 07-19-2009, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

think about this! 75gr or 85 gr or 100 gr the function of the BH isto cut & severe all this organs/tissue it can as it passes thru your game. weight is another benefit more you have on the front the more FOC you obtain. thats very good for CB's
Old 07-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default Trophy Ridge

I use undertakers and they only come in 100 grain and they fly exactly like field tips. Buckeyefootball
Old 07-20-2009, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

Another question on broadheads, are they interchangeable or do I have to look for ones made especially for crossbows.

Quick Reply: will 100 grain broadhead work

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.