Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

need advice

Old 04-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: need advice

Greygrouse here are some ideas for you.

IF you want simplistic operation of a bow, then I would recommend the Recurve Style bows. I know that most will say that they do not have much maintenance with the compounds or even much in the way as field repairs, but just once that you need to change the string in the field, your day could be SHOT (I know, bad pun). I am not that sure of the prices in today's market, but I think you can easily get a good Recurve, arrows and heads in your price range. You do not need special scopes for crossbows, but most manufacture a model that better suits a crossbow (multiple points of sighting) but you can still use what you have now (could save you a little money).

Read and ask questions and have a good idea of what is quality and what is not before you go to a store. But do go to a store and try to shoot and hold a few. When I say hold a few, I mean like in a hunting situation, see if you can hold it for a while comfortably (just like you might have to while waiting for the kill shot). Some bows will feel alot better then others. The only way for you to find out which is the best balanced bow for you is to try them yourself. For cocking the bows, most offer a ROPE COCKER which decreases the amount of pull by 50% and it also has handles which make it more comfortable on your hands (no string pressure cutting into your fingers). You can also get the accu-draw from 10-point but they are costly and would probually exceed your budget, excalibur also has a crank-a-roo available (rope cocker would probually do you good).

With the top crossbow manufactures, I would not hisitate to look at used. I have dealings more with Excalibur then the others so I will speak more about them. Their used bows, if they are looked after (normal care and no dryfires) will last and be very dependable. Since they are still reliable later in their life, they still hold alot of their value in the resale market. Here is an Example of a resale you might come across (not sure if it is still available or not) http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26219

Hope this helps
Old 04-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

"With the top crossbow manufactures, I would not hisitate to look at used."

While I agree, you should know that the warranty generally does not transfer to the second owner.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cossack

While I agree, you should know that the warranty generally does not transfer to the second owner.
Excal is one exception to that.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: awshucks

I worry more about the abuse of the previous owner than the manufacter. It's hard to tell if there are mirco cracks that are there from abuse or poor care of the crossbow.

Dave
Old 04-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PappyDave

ORIGINAL: awshucks

I worry more about the abuse of the previous owner than the manufacter. It's hard to tell if there are mirco cracks that are there from abuse or poor care of the crossbow.

Dave
Dave, the most likely form of abuse for an Excal is a dry-fire. Not likely to be a problem w/ any string except FFF, and then it's 50/50 on splitting a limb.

The best test for that is rubbing a cotton ball along the limbs. My dry-fire that split a limb cost me $7 in shipping and I got back 2 new limbs, new diss bars and pads in less than 6 days, think I mailed it to Miller on a Monday and had the assembled riser back on that Friday.

The only catch to a used Excal is the resale price seems to hang close to new, lol.