HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Newbe Crossbow Questions (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/290339-newbe-crossbow-questions.html)

raceman3 03-27-2009 02:20 PM

Newbe Crossbow Questions

Okay guys I need some feedback on Crossbows. I've been an avid archery hunter for years I have a pretty good idea what to look for in a bow and how to tune it, build arrows etc. This past year the game commisson in PA approved the use of crossbows during the regular archery season. I'd like to keep my purchase around $500 for a complete setup, what kind of features should I look for? What about a scope? Are the sites fixed or can they be adjusted for multiple ranges like on a compound bow? Is there some kind of de-cocking mechanism? Figures I just bought a new compound 2 years ago [align=right][/align]

smokepolehall 03-27-2009 06:26 PM

RE: Newbe Crossbow Questions

there are several CB's being made that can be purchased for that amount. depends on what type of CB your looking for ? compound or recurve style. company track record on timely repairs and done correctly. scopes several decent ones being made for the CB's speed ring style or multi line style. some CB's have anti dryfire and must be shot, others can be let down with cocking rope.the varizone scope is a speed ring type. the hawke is a multi line type

Mojotex 03-31-2009 12:17 PM

I used a X-Bow for the first time last season after injuring a shoulder. I had shot target a ton but never hadhunted with mine before.

There are several that I have seen at a local Bass Pro Shop that are in the $350 - $600 range for the bare X-Bow. I have seen some "kits" there too for about $500 +/-. And of course you can go on up to over $1000 if you have amind to.By the time you add bolts, sight,a cocking device and a case, you are going to add at least$150 to the base price.

I have a 3-Dot scope on mine. Not even certain of the make. The "dots" are not individually adjustable. One adjustment moves all 3 in unison. The gap between the individual dots is fixed.The instructions on hnow to adjust the scope said to set the top dot for 20 yards. The middle now was a 30 yard dot and the bottom a 40 yard dot. I was skeptical, but this was pretty darned close to perfect for my set-up.Ihad 4 shots last fall andmade clean kills each time. The 3-Dot sight worked OK for me. The longest shot was 37 yards, ranged after I shot. The closest shot was no more than 10 yards.With practice you can learn how to make sight adjustments on the fly, but in all honesty thise 3 Dot concept is pretty good.

As for "Arrows", you'll be buying bolts. I'd look for a pack, usually 6, that are already fletched. Refletching is no different than fletching an arrow. Just match what was ripped off.

As for boradheads, try what you are using now. Anyting decent in the 100 -125 gr. range should be good to go.At first I thought that expandables might be the way to go and bought some. However target testing my set-up, I had no problems with the broad heads have been uing for decades now. OI made all 4 kills with the same broadheads I often used on my compound set-up.

I would suggest you buy a cocking device. If not a hand crank, then a cocking rope. Easy and much more consistent than hand cocking.As for de-cocking ... I use a bolt with a field tip and shoot into the ground to "uncock" my cross bow.

Cossack 03-31-2009 03:45 PM

"As for "Arrows", you'll be buying bolts."

Get it right if you're giving advice here: THEY ARE ARROWS, not bolts. Bolts have no feathers, made pf metal, look much like a dart , are only 6-7'' long and were used mostly in medieval bows to pierce armor. They are what gives crossbows a bad name. Modern crossbows shoot ARROWS, albeit a bit shorter than those used by vertical bows. Dislike being contentious but we have enough trouble with the antis without our own kind helping their cause....

raceman3 04-01-2009 10:20 AM

Thanks for the input. I think I'll see what options are available for decocking as I have to believe shooting the arrow into the ground will be rather hard on it after a while. Thanks for the advice on a cocking device as well

ranger56528 04-01-2009 12:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Cossack

Get it right if you're giving advice here: THEY ARE ARROWS, not bolts. Bolts have no feathers, made pf metal, look much like a dart , are only 6-7'' long and were used mostly in medieval bows to pierce armor. They are what gives crossbows a bad mane. Modern crossbows shoot ARROWS, albeit a bit shorter than those used by vertical bows. Dislike being contentious but we have enough trouble with the antis without our own kind helping their cause....
Glad you said it Cossack,I was biteing my lip heeheehee.....

GrumpyTom 04-02-2009 10:09 AM

ORIGINAL: Cossack

Get it right if you're giving advice here: THEY ARE ARROWS, not bolts. Bolts have no feathers, made pf metal, look much like a dart , are only 6-7'' long and were used mostly in medieval bows to pierce armor. They are what gives crossbows a bad name. Modern crossbows shoot ARROWS, albeit a bit shorter than those used by vertical bows. Dislike being contentious but we have enough trouble with the antis without our own kind helping their cause....
Yes modern crossbows shoot arrows and not bolts. 20-25 years ago (sorry I no longer have the link to the info) the standard discription between arrows & bolts were mostly the size. Arrows 14" and under were classed as bolts and larger were arrows. With most States & Provinces requiring 14-14.5 inch draw, this makes bolts no good to hunt with as they would be too short.

My first compound shot 27'' arrows while my Relayer shot 21.5''. less then 6"' different in length, but you would not believe how the anti's would claim that my arrow was not an arrow.

Just thought I would add my 2 cents worth.

Cossack 04-02-2009 10:36 AM

This site has some good info, holler with questions: http://www.crossbowcountry.com/index1.html