Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Which kind for me (new law) >

Which kind for me (new law)

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Which kind for me (new law)

Old 03-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Which kind for me (new law)

I also live in MI and just purchased a crossbow. I bought a Ten point and I love it. I bought the Tighten (it is a compound style) with the Acu Draw (not the Acu Draw 50) and it only takes about 5 lbs. of pressure to crank it back.
The bow shoots very well. It is a little on the heavy side but it is ready for sling. Theese bows are guarenteed for life and are made in Ohio (very important to me). I will probably use a rest when hunting.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:27 AM
Spike

I would have asked this question on the Excalibur forum but they haven't approved my registration yet.

Is there a physical difference between the 2008 Vixen, Ibex, Phoenix and the 2009 models? Is there a price difference in the shops? Some of them are saying they haven't gotten their 2009 models in yet.

So does it make any difference what year crossbow I buy in these models?

Laura
Old 03-20-2009, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Ibex is new this year, same bow as Phoenix but shorter thumbhole stock. I believe the Vixen II is a shorter stock version of the Vixen. It's new this year too, and is camo vs plain brown. Go here, click on the models you're considering and under them are specs including overall length.
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/
Old 03-20-2009, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: lscha

Well, I just called every sporting goods store within 4 hours drive from me and nobody has the Vixen and won't have it unlessI order it. I found a few that have the TenPoint. Looks like there is no way to try the Vixen unless I order it. Bummer! They are all trying to talk me into the other Excaliburs or TenPoints.

They will probably expand their inventory when all us old people start demanding it. But I'm not known for my patience.
The good thing about an Excalibur Bow is that they are very similar between models. If they have another model which is a high poundage you could still get a good idea about the fit of the bow. The Vixen II is a great bow for Ladies or smaller framed shooters. THey have the shorter draw pull them most (but only a short difference) and only a 150lb pull. The 175lb model will give you a good idea about the cocking the bow, the 150lb will be much easier and then you could also include the Rope Cocker which reduces your pull by 50%. Depending on your body stature and leg strength will also depend on which bow you will be more comfortable with. Smaller hands and arms will probually like the Thumb Hole stocks better (more comfortable fit). Short legged shooters seem to have more difficulty cocking bows with higher poundage because of the longer draw needed for these bows. Remember that the proper method in cocking a crossbow uses your legs alot more then your arms, bending at the knees and then stand up with just a little arm pull at the end (shorter legs means a little longer arm pull). The Phoenix should give you a good feel for the balance of the bow in comparing it to the Vixen or Vixen II.

I change strings many times, I remove my string after every hunt or shooting experiance (not required) and I have not found any difference in Point of Impact. I carry an Extra String with me, my dad (who is 77) has his extra string taped to the outside of his stock at all times. With a recurve you can change a string easily and very quickly if needed and I have always found that the point of impact never changed (just make sure the string is positioned on the riser properly). Do you need to purchase one when buying your bow, no ,....... but I would suggest you get one before you go hunting, even break it in. Boo does make a great string and I would recomend them to anyone.

Hope that this does help you and does not confuse you more in your choice . As for your questions, ask away. We were all in the same position as you at one time and either we got help or learned it the hard way. The only stupid question is a question not asked if you do not know.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Call Dave, at Wyvern Creations 603-659-0575, see if he'll let you buy to try, with return option. He know more about crossbows than all the (non-shooting) store clerks ever will. Plus he's a standup kind of guy that will answer your questions without trying to sell you on what he has in stock.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:46 AM
Spike

Thanks Cossack, I have been reading good things about him.

Laura
Old 03-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Spike

Thanks GrumpyTom, I'm heading to Jay's tonight to try to cock an Ibex. (Hopefully to cock an Ibex, they have one but I don' know if I can cock it.) How come you can't get an Accudraw on an Excalibur?

As for confusion, I'm there, but I'm going to be getting an Excalibur or TenPoint. At least I've narrowed it down to those and I'm not going to let anyone talk me into anything else. I just kinda think the difference of a pound in total weight might make a difference to me when it comes to lugging it around the woods. I know it made a difference in my compound verticals.

Laura
Old 03-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL:but I'm going to be getting an Excalibur or TenPoint. At least I've narrowed it down to those and I'm not going to let anyone talk me into anything else.
Thats the same conclusion that i came too when i was looking at x-bows. Excalibur if I decided on a recurve and ten point if I decided on a compound. Good luck in your search .
Old 03-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Spike

I decided on the Ibex. I loved shooting it. Was amazed at the accuracy. Couldn't cock it of course but Ihave resigned myself to using the Crankaroo the rest of my life so it doesn't matter which one I buy. TenPoint is too heavy and didn't feel as good as the Ibex, for me. Phoenix was nice, but not as comfortable as the Ibex. Maybe it's the thumbhole. I can reach the trigger better with the Ibex. The Phoenix was a bit of a reach for me. Now I have to figure out where to buy it and whether I want the package that comes with it or make up my own. I really like the Lumi-Zone scope and would prefer the over-bow quiver. If it weren't for all your help I wouldn't have known what to look forwhen I went in. Thanks again.

Laura
Old 03-21-2009, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good choice Ischa. Now, do yourself another favor and consider the Hawke crossbow scopes. About half the size and heft of a Lumizone. (I shoot with both). The MAP has a reticule that isn't lighted but can be used for ranging distance. The SR has lighted circles. I got my MAP from Dave for just under $70.
Either is a quality scope that would compliment your svelte Ibex, making it's weight considerably less.