HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Need tips on Turkey hunting with Xbow (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/288436-need-tips-turkey-hunting-xbow.html)

Bree243 03-05-2009 06:49 AM

Need tips on Turkey hunting with Xbow

Well this year I plan on trying my luck at Turkey sticking. I have a blind and have scatterguned a couple of nice Toms in the past. Any advice on broadheads (need to clear foot stirup so no beheadin blades) or arrow additions, ranges with noisey wheel bow, etc. I would think it is not much diff than with a splattergun but just wanted second, third and forth opinions.

Cossack 03-05-2009 09:04 AM

RE: Need tips on Turkey hunting with Xbow

I use a 4 bladed, short broadhead, Slick Trick mags, because it flies very well for me. The location of turkey's vitals are not like deer. A sideways shot the does not involve the head should be just in front of the leg a tad above midway, or at the base of the wing. From the back, right up the vent. Head on is trickiest, just below the base of the neck. That big breast tends to confuse beginners, it's a tempting target but more likely to cause wounding it it's hit.
Hunting them with a bow is the same as scattergun but you may need toget them closer. Decoys can take their mind off you.

Bree243 03-05-2009 09:33 AM

Cabelas has a broadhead backer that imparts more shock (I've heard shock is a good thing). Has anyone used these or somthing like em.

Cossack 03-05-2009 12:36 PM

Yes, I have. Screwed up my accuracy and range tho.

Bree243 03-05-2009 12:40 PM

I've heard you can drop a weight in your broadhead (125 to 100, 100 to 85) to copmensate for the added weight but I can see how it would affect arodynamics of the shaft.

Thanks

GrumpyTom 03-06-2009 12:24 PM

Bree243 I have hunted turkeys with my crossbow for many years and have also given advice to many others as well:D.

The most important aspect is to use a setup (arrow & head) that you are comfortable and have confidence with (accuracy). If your deer (or other hunting) setup is good and your confidence is great with it, then use it. You do not need different or special heads to hunt turkeys. The only thing I would advise that would be a little different is to add an arrow arrester of some kind. I and many others use an arrestor called Zwickey Scropio. These arrestor will slide on the arrow shaft to lessen the impact of a fast stopping arrow but will still keep the arrow from passing through. The non pass through will limit the ability of the bird from flying or running away. One tom that I took (150lb bow) was knocked sideways 3 yards from the arrow so they will still get all the KE from the arrow, just not the brusing of the meat as from the solid arrestor types. One other factor I found out with this arrestor is that it did not effect the point of impact at all.

Hope this helps.

awshucks 03-06-2009 04:04 PM

I've taken two turkeys w/ an xbow. Same arrow set up on both, Slick Tricks w/ a Zwickey 'Grappler' behind them.

The principle is to keep the bhead in the bird on a marginal hit to keep on cutting them. I did a test shot on a big chicken w/ Ecet and about 450 gr setup at 20 yds and the arrow stayed in the bird.

My one I shot w/ Emax was a pass thru, wasn't turkey hunting but rather deer, saw the turkey coming and switched arrows. The one w/ Ecet was like the chicken, dead when I got to it at 20 yds w/ arrow in it.

The Grapplers weigh 20 gr and have no affect on poi or accuracy for me to 30 yds.

If you shoot GT L II's and have the old shafts use 22/64's, if newer thinner GT's use 21/64's.

When I first tried them in practice, they were sliding up my shaft in flight stopping about 1/2" onto the vanes. I got some small rubber 'o' rings to put behind them and solved that problem, which I think was due to new shafts, but this was back before I new the difference between the two.

Needless to say, I'm impressed w/ them. Good luck!

Bree243 03-09-2009 04:28 AM

Thanks for the great advice guys.