Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Good news and bad news >

Good news and bad news

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Good news and bad news

Old 03-02-2009, 12:58 PM

Default Good news and bad news

In Iowa we have a disability crossbow permit. You have to be judged disabled by your doctor to get a temp (4 month) or permanant Xbow permit to hunt deer and turkey. Went to see my doctor after 7 monthswith an orthopedic surgeon (gave me a temp permitlast deer season,because I will be ok some day)and 6 months of physical therapy. Seems I have flat lined as far as improvement of my shoulder goes (busted up bad in a MC accident last May). So the good news is I now have a permanant Xbow permit, the bad news is, I now have a permanant Xbow permit. Tough to think I'll never be without this ache in my shoulder but at least I can still enjoy hunting with the feathered shaft. Any one else dealing with a Xbow reason like this? Please do not get me wrong, I love hunting with the horizontal bow, just wish it was without the pain.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Good news and bad news

In 2005 I had both shoulders rebuilt and back surgery, all within a 10 month period. Now I have 5vertabrae that are fused andbolted together and soft tissue permanently replaced bone in my shoulders. It's amazingwhat I can do and what I can'tdo. I can do 40 to 50 push-ups in a set, but I can't draw a bow without pain.Socoincidently with PA's new archery rules this year,I decided to buy a cross-bow. Can't wait to hunt with it.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:01 AM

Wow, makes me feel like a whiner. I too have a soft tissue rebuild for a shoulder socket as well as a couple of screws and wire holding the whole rig in place and the face of the ball on, kind of a Humpty Dumpty assembly. Believe me when I say you will enjoy the use of the crossbow. Your bow hunting techniques will not change only the position of your bow. You may even get better as your bow may fire with more noise meaning you will have to be a little closer so as to avoid string jump. Thanks for the post and enjoy the xbow experience.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Feel for you, two back surgs. and a shoulder myself. Now the left one is acting up, may be a bone spur or torn RC (fall with latter stand) but hey, I'm going to be in this game as long as I can heft a bow of any kind...and a rifle, and a ML and some single shot pistols...... At 69 I figure the light at the end of the tunnel ain't that far off, enjoy every minute while I can.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:53 AM

Amen to that Cossack!
Old 03-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

I thought I was going to have a tough time cocking the bow, but I bought a cocking string which gives you a 2:1 mechanical advantage, and it was a piece of cake!
Old 03-04-2009, 03:54 AM

I too use a rope cocker, unable to do it without it.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually the mechanical cocker is even easier....albeit slower. I've even seen where someone attached a cordless palm drill to one.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:32 AM

Mecanical for my bow was $124, rope cocker $18, saving money for hunting trips, priceless!
Old 03-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

I have a x-bow , started because of a bicep tendon tore off (3 surgeries) and a bad shoulder so I got a permit (Wi.) it was for 5 years that has expired but in the meantime I became a senior and am allowed to use one. I have an accudraw to cock mine, works good a rope wouldn't do it. I feel a big advantage of a x-bow is the scope and range finder. They are deadly however not any better than a good compound.
In Wi. the largest percentage of new hunters are young girls (guns)and menarchery hunters over 65. I am sure that is because a x-bow allows us ol'guys to hunt in nice weather.
Redclub

Quick Reply: Good news and bad news

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.