Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Full inclusion for PA >

Full inclusion for PA

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Full inclusion for PA

Old 01-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Full inclusion for PA

the PGC was on tv explaining why they went with the 1x scope over the 4x scope rule.

they said they had a lot of calls and concern over hunters going to shoot 40/50/60 yds at deer with crossbow.

so, they said thats why they went with the red dot 1x scopes that dont magnify.

thats was my concern from beginning on crossbow if anyone read my posts,i guess they got a lot of calls on this.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

I have talked with some retail dealers in Virginia about crossbows. They told me when the state allowed crossbows, as expected, afair amount of rifle hunters purchased crossbows. A few years later, these same hunters began to purchase compound bows. Total harvest seem to bethe same, just the weapon used mix differs.I seem to be following this same progression. I do like to think of deer hunting as a mutually inclusive sport.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:08 PM

There's nothing to fear. Ohio has legalized use of the crossbow since the 70's. Plenty of deer to go around with big bucks to chase regardless what you chose to carry in the field with you. One neat trend I've seen over and over again is that a family or group of friends can "share" a crossbow. Try doing that with a vertical bow. A parent can let their kid use their crossbow to start hunting with. What's the problem with that?
Old 01-30-2009, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Wyvern Crossbow

"Pick me up on the way out 70 east, we'll stop at WalMart pick up some cheap crossbows and go poaching in pA"

I always get a giggle out of that old excuse that Xbows are "poaching weapons" What poacher in his right mind wants to shine a deer, launch an arrow at it, then wait 1/2 and hour for it to bleed out then wander thru the woods with flashlights looking for it Ummm....you want to outlaw "poaching weapons" take a look at a 22mag and how it is used for head shots...THATS the choice for poachers..
Wyvern
most of poaching with crossbow is around parks where a gun shot will be heard.

latest now is homemade silencers are being used on the 22 mag rifles,so that may do away with the crossbow .

road hunters use crossbow a lot but only in daylight,they stick it out window and shoot.door is nice rest for crossbow.

but i agree with you, poaching weapon is not crossbow ,22 mag is one and new thompson contender pistol in 223/222 is hot poachers weapon now because its classed as a PISTOL and can be carried while SPOTLIGHTING.

that was a big mistakeLETTING THE POACHER CARRY A PISTOL, FOR SURE.[:@]
Old 01-30-2009, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Doegirl75

There's nothing to fear. Ohio has legalized use of the crossbow since the 70's. Plenty of deer to go around with big bucks to chase regardless what you chose to carry in the field with you. One neat trend I've seen over and over again is that a family or group of friends can "share" a crossbow. Try doing that with a vertical bow. A parent can let their kid use their crossbow to start hunting with. What's the problem with that?
DOE,here is truth of why crossbow was opposed here in pa.

our deer herd is at worst levels in history.

we dont have lots of deer in wmu2g ,as you do in ohio.

adding another weapon to early archery will increase the DOE KILL.

we dont want that.

crossbows are allowed before this new rule in gun season and late flintlock BUT very few use one, they use gun.

WHY, meat.........

then you have hunters like you said, EVERYONE CAN USE SAME CROSSBOW.

that is our worry,people that dont know yds over 30 are bad and not practicing and using GOOD MORALE SENSE.

we are loaded with people that want MEAT and will take shot at 60 yds .

this is why the PGC went and said,YOU HAVE TO REMOVE YOUR 4 POWER SCOPES.

why, because these non sportsman hunters will take a 60 yd shot, THEY DOING IT NOW.[:@]

those reasons are why the poll to commissionerson crossbows was 90% against and 10% for.

yet they still voted it in.

now we have to live with it.

i was for it for the DISABLED,it gave them a chance to hunt in archery and chance to get a buck.

now, with new hunters that crossbow will bring,DISABLED chances get worst that they will get a buck now.

heck, i only saw 1 buck in archery and he was so spooky from in-line hunters, no way i could get closer than 30 yds but you can bet a crossbow arrow will be shot at him at 40.50/60 yds.[:@]

i dont hate a crossbow in hands of people like on here in AREAS where there are lots of deer.

i guess you could say its 2 things that we dont like.

LACK OF DEER
UNETHICAL HUNTERS

if both of those were not a concern, SPROUL WOULD BE FIRST TO SAY,why not..........

Old 01-30-2009, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

A parent can let their kid use their crossbow to start hunting with. What's the problem with that?
I'm not saying xbows are the easy way to go out there and hunt with being I've heard plenty of stuff from the likes of you all on why there not as easy as I once thought and I apologize for that. I do though have a problem with starting a kid out with a xbow. Minus lugging the xbow around being there heavy and awkward there pretty simple to shoot. Why Is It we have to make things easier for a kid now a days to get Into something? Kids these days are way different then they were 15 years ago when I was running around. We worked for our stuff, It wasn't given. Dad always told me no shortcuts son and I plan on raising my daughter the same. I have a 1.5 year old daughter and I can't wait till she's old enough to start shooting bow with me If that's what she wants to do. Here's the thing though, If she's not Interested to shoot a bow because It's not fun being It's to hard to pull back a bow, I guess that's the end of It then unless she changes her mind. I'm not going to go out and buy her a xbow because It's easier to shoot being she don't have to pull It back. The only reason I'd buy her one was If she would get a disability of some kind. There either serious about shooting a bow or not and I'm not going to push It on them at all. Any kid out there that has no disability's and wants to pull a regular bow back can do It, It's called putting your time In and working for It and not sitting your but In front of the TV playing video games all the time when Instead they should be doing some practicing from time to time. You don't get good at sports by not doing them, you get good by practicing and doing them. Parents these days are to blame for kids not wanting to work for anything anymore. You adults can do what you want but I have a real problem with getting kids Involved In something whether It's hunting, working, or just life In general by taking short cuts so It's fun for them.

I mean no disrespect to any of you that hunt with a xbow. I've came along way from how I use to feel about xbows. What I did say though In my 1st paragraph I stand by It 100%. Xbows will be legal everywhere In the near future. The Technology In the compounds pretty much opened the door on getting xbows legal In allot of states so I don't blame the xbow company's and xbow hunters for pushing like they have. What scares me Is how far will this technology go In compounds and xbows from here on out. There's going to be a time when bowhunting will not be up and close hunting, It's getting that way already. The past time will soon be gone with newer generations and In reality It Isn't the young crowds fault one bit being It will be out there for the taking.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:34 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Hey Schultzy! I must agree with you somewhat. I think it would be great to first give one's kids a stick and string and let them have at it. A stick and string for many reasons is probably a good idea from an injury, property damage etc stand point. The principles of Traditional archery would teach them a whole lot of discipline and patience. On the other hand it would also be great to allow them the experience and therefore the choice of different types of archery. To me the bottom line is that the real game is getting close enough to an animal to earn the choice of letting that arrow go or not. So yes I agree that it would be a good thing but I don't think it is of paramount importance. Sportsmanship, patience and disipline are far more important.
Carrying on the tradition of Traditional bows is the reponsibility of Traditional shooters not rifle, shotgun, compound bow or crossbow shooters. I know one thing for sure, if I ever have grandchildren they will be playing with a stick and string first.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Dnk

Hey Schultzy! I must agree with you somewhat. I think it would be great to first give one's kids a stick and string and let them have at it. A stick and string for many reasons is probably a good idea from an injury, property damage etc stand point. The principles of Traditional archery would teach them a whole lot of discipline and patience. On the other hand it would also be great to allow them the experience and therefore the choice of different types of archery. To me the bottom line is that the real game is getting close enough to an animal to earn the choice of letting that arrow go or not. So yes I agree that it would be a good thing but I don't think it is of paramount importance. Sportsmanship, patience and disipline are far more important.
Carrying on the tradition of Traditional bows is the reponsibility of Traditional shooters not rifle, shotgun, compound bow or crossbow shooters. I know one thing for sure, if I ever have grandchildren they will be playing with a stick and string first.
i like your comments too.
GETTING CLOSE ENOUGH TO DECIDE TO LET ARROW GO.

if dads would teach kid just that,i would feel a crossbow would be great down road.

but i agree with both of you, today, kids want it easy.

my brothers son is 12 and he quit hunting because it was COLD out and he saw no deer .

he was only in woods 3 hrs.

but we are going to be swamped with ADULTS AND KIDS that think a crossbow is gun and will just shoot and NOT EVEN KNOW YARDS THEY ARE SHOOTING.

i know, i sight in bows for both from what i learned on here from great crossbow users here.,

i knew nothing about crossbow but learned it here from experts.

who is going to TEACH all these new crossbow hunters with kids on distance they are shooting and how to shoot it

NO ONE, TRUST ME ON THAT.

at our last sportsmans meeting, 4 kids showed up.

yet, i trained 56 kids to get their licenses.

no interest.

now they are going to carry a crossbow that someone left them use
Old 01-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sproulman

"Pick me up on the way out 70 east, we'll stop at WalMart pick up some cheap crossbows and go poaching in pA"

I always get a giggle out of that old excuse that Xbows are "poaching weapons" What poacher in his right mind wants to shine a deer, launch an arrow at it, then wait 1/2 and hour for it to bleed out then wander thru the woods with flashlights looking for it Ummm....you want to outlaw "poaching weapons" take a look at a 22mag and how it is used for head shots...THATS the choice for poachers..
Wyvern
....now because its classed as a PISTOL and can be carried while SPOTLIGHTING.

To my knowledge you can't have ANY weapon in your vehicle while spotting deer in Pa? Am I mistaken?
Old 01-30-2009, 04:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: early in

ORIGINAL: sproulman

Wyvern
....now because its classed as a PISTOL and can be carried while SPOTLIGHTING.

To my knowledge you can't have ANY weapon in your vehicle while spotting deer in Pa? Am I mistaken?
we caught a poacher spotlighting after hrs.
we know he shot a big buck but did not catch him shooting.

in his vehicle he had a THOMPSON CONTENDER 222 CAL.

the new law in pa says you CAN CARRY A PISTOL WHILE SPOTLIGTHING.[:@]

also you can carry it in archery season while hunting with a bow.[:@]

so, they could not take his pistol,even tho they know he used it to poach.

isnt this a great rule from PGC.[:@]

Quick Reply: Full inclusion for PA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.