Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 looking for some advice >

looking for some advice

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

looking for some advice

Old 01-12-2009, 11:44 PM
Spike

Default looking for some advice

I am an avid bowhunter... compound that is. But thinking about switching to an X, or at least for late season hunting. Sometimes the compound just frustrates me...I mean I have killed plenty of deer with the two compounds I have used (older PSE thunderflight express and my current reflex buckskin). But... I have also missed about as many as I have killed. I cant help but think had I had a crossbow I wouldnt have missed, or the couple times I couldnt even pull the bow back (all the sudden i got a buck at 10 yards and I am sitting down with the bow across my lap and no cover between me and the deer to stand up and draw) maybe if I had an Xbow I'd have had the buck. I think a lot of my problem with the compound is buck fever (yeah even after 15+ years of huntin') my heart gets poundedand I forget to verify my anchor point orI torque the handle different IDK. My target accuracy I can out shoot all my hunting buddies (which isnt necessarily that great of a feat) but usually can hit a fist size pattern out to 40 yards. But yet every shot in the field at a deer over 20 I have missed. All the deer I have taken with the bow have been in the 15-20 range.

Then the late season and wearing all those clothes makes the compound even less accurate if I can even pull it back. I might still use the compound in early season, but I'm thinking the late season or whenever its below freezing that a Xbow might be a better choice. I'm not hunting necessarily for tradition or for trophy, my main goal is to fill the freezer and put the deer down as ethicaly as I can. Sound like a plan?

Lastly if I go the route of the X, then I might need some advice on which to get. I definatly want a quality bow but money is tight right now. Just based on research I really like the Excalibur models. Right now there is a local selling a pheonix for $350 (just the bow, quiver, and bolts, no scope or cocking rope or anything like that). I was hoping to talk him to atleast 300 might try $275. the phoenix seems to be a little on the light side compared to others though, I'd really like the Vortex with the full right stuff package with the varizone scope. I just cant afford that right now. Any advice? Is the Phoenix a good white tail shooter or should I maybe wait a year or so till I get the money or find a good deal used on a Vortex?
Old 01-13-2009, 06:36 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: looking for some advice

Unless you are going for something bigger than a Moose then the Phoenix is more than sufficient. Flatter trajectories with heavier arrows and driving your arrow deeper in the ground after a pass-through on a White Tail will come with the Vortex. The Phoenix is a real work-horse and the Vortex is an amusing example of excess power. I like the stock configuration and the power of the Vortex but I would feel lacking if I only had the Phoenix.
Wait for a couple of more months. Excal is coming out with the thumbhole version of the Phoenix which means that there will a few used bows for sale soon. Warranty does not end with the original purchaser so don't stress over buying a used bow.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:37 AM
Typical Buck

The Excalibur is a great place to start, but rest assured if it is on your lap when a deer steps in at 10 yards you may as well be holding a bowling ball with a strobe light on it. There is no weapon than can gracefully come off your lap at 10 yards in the presence of a deer, matter of fact, you would likely be more apt to raise a compound than a crossbow, they aren't small.

Good deals are known to happen, but you have to keep an eye out, there are others that are looking for the same good deal.

So far the only benefit I have found for the crossbow is when I am wearing bulky clothes, I am fortunate enough to still be able to use my compound with ease, at least for now. Truth be told, I still like the crossbow the most, all the challenge of archery as far as hunting is concerned, and they require less maintenance, that I simply don't know how to do to my compound
Old 01-13-2009, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

very good CB's, which model is tuff choice. i have a phoenix and i want to go up but to give it justice it shoots threw deer. vortex is my choice as the all around excal. it has enough power to use heavier arrows and still shoot about 300 fps mark.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:03 AM
Typical Buck

Try the ten point TL7 which is ten points lower end x-bow. They are very fast and deadly accurate.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:09 PM

ol eagle eyes Look on ebay under excalibur crossbow. I would go with the vortex and get the extras later You will not be disappointed. I have the Vortex and love the thunbhole stock. Excellent x bow and very accurate with the correct weight arrow/bolt.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

vortex would be the perfect middle of the road

Ive owned the exocet 200 which is the vortex now and the equinox... I couldnt pick one over the other. The lighter models are fun to shoot target wise though since its less wear on strings and etc