Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Cocking box while in Summit Goliath >

Cocking box while in Summit Goliath

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Cocking box while in Summit Goliath

Old 01-10-2009, 02:33 PM

Default Cocking box while in Summit Goliath

I just bought a Summit Goliath Sit and climb tree stand. I've been wanting a climber for a long time and the local pro shop had their stands on sale.

I will cock the bow the first time on the ground and pull it up with a tow rope, but what if I have to re-cock it while in the stand? Does the sit bar make this impossible?

I use an older model horton hunter supreme sl. It's 150# pull and not that hard to cock.

Thanks!
Redtail
Old 01-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cocking box while in Summit Goliath

I cock my bow on the ground and haul or carry it up. Without an arrow of course.
I would say you only need one shot BUT I had to reload on one occasion. I think it can be a little bit dangerous depending on what sort of deck your stand has so don't do anything silly AND you have your harness on of course.
The best advise I can give you is to try it a few times from 2 ft. up the tree instead of 20! Most of my backyard shooting is done from stands that I can just step onto at ground level.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

its tricky for me to cock my exocet w/ the goliath. there is no quick 2nd shot-thats for sure. i too cock it on the gound before climbing. its one less thing i have to do when i finish climbing.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the goliath ive have had mine for 3 yrs now and love it.
As for cocking i wont get into detail but i have a barnett quad 300/400. and when sitting i place the butt end of my xbow in the center of my rib cage and pull on the string with my fingers untill loaded and i must say youve got to be strong and DONTdo it if you cant do it. Good luck....joey

Old 01-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I install 2 screw in bow hooks about 5" apart above me and I hook my foot stirup on the hooks so they will hold the bow,I use my rope cocker to recock while standing and facing the tree,works for me