Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 How to get nocks out of bolts for Lumenock installation? >

How to get nocks out of bolts for Lumenock installation?

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

How to get nocks out of bolts for Lumenock installation?

Old 12-21-2008, 06:59 PM
Spike

Default How to get nocks out of bolts for Lumenock installation?

Purchased some Lumenocks and trying to get oldnocks out without much luck. (GT gold tip Laser 2 - threaded nocks for pulling out of target) Tried heating them to see if glue would release without much luck...Idon't want to warp or catch the carbon arrow on fire! I must be missing something. Thanks in advance for the help here guy! Jeff in Ohio
Old 12-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How to get nocks out of bolts for Lumenock installation?

What I did to remove some 1/2 moon plastic nocks to put in tracers was to drill them all of the way thru with a small drill bit making a pilot hole. Then I used a larger drill bit ( about 1/16th smaller than the id of the arrow) and drilled 1/2 to 2/3 of the way thru; then I put the drill in reverse and used the friction of the drill bit to heat the nock up enough to loosen the glue and I pulled them out with a pair of pliers.

Bob
Old 12-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Happy Pappy

Purchased some Lumenocks and trying to get oldnocks out without much luck. (GT gold tip Laser 2 - threaded nocks for pulling out of target) Tried heating them to see if glue would release without much luck...Idon't want to warp or catch the carbon arrow on fire! I must be missing something. Thanks in advance for the help here guy! Jeff in Ohio
Here's what worked for me. Get a long 8-32 screw, I got some 6" pieces at an Ace hdwe fwiw, and put them in a vise w/ about 3" sticking out horizontal. Screw the nock or insert onto it a tad and then heat it w/ a propane torch while pulling on the shaft. Keep the flame well away from the carbon shaft. They will burn your fingers if you try to take them off the screw w/o gloves, lol.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:35 AM

I just pulled & twisted the old nock out with a pair of pliers.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BlackBoarDown

I just pulled & twisted the old nock out with a pair of pliers.
The nocks he's talking about are threaded for an arrow puller and probably are put in a little stouter than yours, fwiw.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:19 AM
Spike

Got them out... heated them a little longerand they came right with a pliers once hot. Boy does that glue stink once it's heated! Lumenocks slid right in and work like a charm... I was tired of losing bolts and broadheads after shooting into cut corn fields. Sitting on the ground causes the bolts to slide under the stalks where you can't find them! I've got a little over a month to get my buck... last year I got it Feb. 3rd with 30 mins. to go in the season! Hopefully it's sooner than that this year. Thanks for the help guys! Jeff in Ohio