Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 another newbie question >

another newbie question

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

another newbie question

Old 03-02-2009, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default another newbie question

What are the pros and cons of a recurve style vs. not sure of the correct term but pulley style. There are so many models to choose its quite confusing. Looking at max of $600 with a scope. Like some of the ten points. Thanks
Old 03-02-2009, 09:21 AM
ogg
Fork Horn

Default RE: another newbie question

I love my excalibur phoenix.Its extremely accurate and just a great bow.The only con i would say is the limb width.You have to make sure your limbs do not hit anything when fired.But that hasnt been a problem for me beacuse i dont hunt in any tight places.Compoundcrossbows have the advantage of shooting in smaller spaces.Ive always enjoyed recure crossbow though.I think I paid some where around $550 for the bow,scope,arrows,and quiver.But you should try and shoot which bows you are interested in first ifpossibleto see which one feels the best.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: another newbie question

Recurves are simpler in design and simpler to maintain, have fewer things to go wrong and have no cables to replace or reserve. But they tend to be wider than compound bows.
Compound bows rely on both limbs and pulleys to generate thrust. As a result, the fastest bows are compound. They are generally narrower, but not necessarily lighter.
Both types of bows can be quite accurate. I think it's more a matter of personal choice and own representatives of each kinds.