HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Headin' for the big woods (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/276946-headin-big-woods.html)

Cossack 12-05-2008 08:30 AM

Headin' for the big woods

for one more fling at hunting whitetails. It's eight degrees, moderate east wind with snow on the way. Looks like it could be below zero in the morning. We'll stay a couple of nights.... if we can keep the cabin warm enough. It will be muzzleloaders this time. Our rifle season is over and the deer are fewer and smarter. No matter, don't need move venison in the freezer. Just look forward to the solitude of the stand, the sounds and sights of the north woods and to the camp life. Likely to see or hear some wolves and, hopefully, a deer as well.
It's wild, clean and pristine as it gets now days; poppin' a cap will definitely be secondary.

awshucks 12-05-2008 11:50 AM

RE: Headin' for the big woods

Have a good, safe trip!

Planter 12-05-2008 12:45 PM

You sure don't have to pull the trigger to have fun. If you did alot more of us would be miserable.

Have fun and enjoy the best nature has to offer.

smokepolehall 12-05-2008 03:33 PM

hope your luck is better than mine. my ML isn't right! sighted it in shooting great. shot at same 5 pt this morning 1st shot at 15 yds standing still. shot went low between his front legs & i was aiming at middle of his chest. he jumps twice and is less than 25 yds. looking all over but up at me. i reload put xhair tight behind front right leg and i shot leaves flew up under his chest. he jumped couple times and started walking eating honeysuckle leaseves as he went into the thicket [&o]

ranger56528 12-05-2008 05:34 PM

Good luck Boris and have fun.....

Cossack 12-07-2008 08:06 AM

The outing turned out to be a HOOT! The first morning was awe inspiring as the sun cleared the spruces and tamaracks swamp filtering through the gently falling snow. Fresh wolf tracks in the snow right under the stand. It was well below zero but I was properly clothed and stayed put stand for 4 hrs. Nothing moved. Not a sound broke the blessed stillness but the jays and ravels.Still hunted back to camp but the snow was too loud at that temp. After breakfast we organized a push. I was to stay on one spot until the pusher went through then circle around as blocker to get in front of him again. A friend was in the stand overlooking another swamp. My wait proved fruitless but I pushed three deer to the others when I circled. They came through the swamp at warp speed but the poster had the wrong "gun" in his hands at that very moment. They ran onto the pusher and stood 30 yards away. That's when he learned that three 30 grn of T7 pellets don't ignite well when it's that cold. In stead of a bang he got more like a puff. The deer loped up the hill and looked at him from even closer. All he could do was look. Venison steak (bow kill) never tasted better than that night.

rafsob 12-07-2008 11:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Cossack

That's when he learned that three 30 grn of T7 pellets don't ignite well when it's that cold. In stead of a bang he got more like a puff.
Never had that happen with BP! ;)

Cossack 12-07-2008 12:11 PM

Condensation may have been a contributing factor. The gun had not been brought in overnight but was warm and exposed to the cold before coming to camp. But three 30 grain pellets are a long column and may have burned slower at 10 below.

rafsob 12-07-2008 12:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Cossack

Condensation may have been a contributing factor. The gun had not been brought in overnight but was warm and exposed to the cold before coming to camp. But three 30 grain pellets are a long column and may have burned slower at 10 below.
You may be right but... Still, I like loose powder and not the pellets. I have used Pyrodex RS in my inlines in the past. But I must admit it doesn't get that cold here in southwestern Va.

Cossack 12-07-2008 02:06 PM

Pyrodex had the lowest standard deviation, ego accuracy, in recent tests I read about. As a reloader of various metalic cartridges I realize it's much easier to tune loads for accuracy with loose powder. Pellets are a bit easier to use under these conditions esp since the user is not a relaoder or inclined to expiriemnt. In fact, the 30 grn pellets he used were mistakenly bought by someone he asked to get him some T3 pellets. Oh well, not surprising the spit happened.