Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Broken Strings

Old 12-03-2008, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Broken Strings

I've been hearing a lot recently about strings breaking after only a few shots with some of the newer crossbows. What's up with that? Are they making strings with fewer strands, weakening the strings to make them lighter, trying to get a few extra FPS for a selling point? Or is there something else at work here that I'm missing?
Old 12-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Broken Strings

Out of three crossbow sights...no excessive string breakage that I've seen.
Some serving problems here and there, but that NOT strings breakage.

Though I've only got a few hundered (maybe 250ish) shots thru it, my Strykers (406fps) string is holding up well.

No tellen what people do with their bows. A little dirt or some other grit will destroy a serving. But the shooter should notice this and stop shooting BEFORE...the string gets damaged.

Mike
Old 12-03-2008, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

There were some problems with the early issued Cyclones relative to string breakage. Apparently (some) of the strings made by a subcontractor had fewer than required strand count.(This, from personal experience).Those problems were solved some time ago. But the hasn't catch up with reality. I'm on 4 crossbow forums regularly and have not heard of string breakage problems as of late.
But as bows get faster (speed sells) the potential for string breakdown increases. One has to be very vigilante for string wear and replace strings and cables that have been weakened immediately. Preventive maintenance is key to long C bow life, much the same as with any other high-performance mechanical object..
Old 12-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

There were some problems with the early issued Cyclones relative to string breakage.
That must have been what stuck in my head. I knew I'd seen a spurt of posts fairly recently about broken strings and it got rattled around by the "Restring crossbows in the field" thread.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:51 AM

Default Aurthur

I did not mean to alarm you with my Restring thread. My thing is for me that is an important issue. I do hunt out of state and in Canada so a CB being easy to service by me is important. My bro in law has the Cyclone and he wouldn't even look at the Excaibur saying it is ugly. he has had zero problems with his Cyclone. I have no idea how many times folks have had to have their CB restrung. Actually i do not know of anyone in our small area.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Aurthur

Oh, no... I wasn't alarmed. Crossbow #1 in my battery is an Excalibur after all. I'm a traditionalist when it comes to archery and always preferred to hunt with recurves and longbows. That addiction to simplicity and ease of maintenance has carried over into the crossbow phase of my life. In fact, I don't own a compound crossbow for just that reason. It's just that I'd remembered that burst of posts about broken strings and your post kinda sparked that question.