Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Point of using a cross bow. >

Point of using a cross bow.

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Point of using a cross bow.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Point of using a cross bow.

you asked why not use a rifle, because i like the up close and personal use of my CB at 35 yds and under. i don't need to kill a deer out yonder with a rifle and it doesn't even know i am in the woods. Its a challenge and i have to move it just like all the other Bowhunters. deer just don't walk up and set themseves in the exact positionfor my killing shot!
Old 12-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

Because I'm disabled and have that Right. I've shot deer to just over 400 yards with my 7 mag. Before my physical health went south. Now I have to have a deer within a very limited range to shoot them from. If they get within my comfort range they are dead and my shoulder is okay to start the real work.

I bought the original Stryker and am quite happy and confident with my placement and it's accuracy. I hit solidly at any range I shoot because of the Stryker's residual KE. I get rifle shots out of a bow and don't need a visit to the orthopedic doctor afterwords. Money joy of the outdoors is maintained and my economic support should also be considered a huge plus considering what I spend each year. I know the game benefits by my money going to manage it.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:01 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: MISwampDog

To me the point of using a bow is the challenge. I like having to have the animal with 30 yards. With a cross bow (and correct me if i'm wrong) but the effective range is 50 or so yards. It takes the challenge out.

for those of you that use a cross bow instead of a compound or traditional bow...why do you do it?
The point of using any archery tool is to kill what it's pointed at, challenge is a personal choice and is not required of any tool. I have a 180 crossbow that's good out to 40 yards, after that the drop of the bolt renders it pretty much useless. A compound bow with a carbon arrow in the hands of a well practiced archer could easily exceed that. I also shoot a 50# recurve bow, with which I'm probably good only out to about 20 yards due to age diminished vision, but with my scoped crossbow I can shoot at twice that range with reliable accuracy, and accuracy is what really matters.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:29 AM

I guess ole Swampdog is chuckling to himself at all the replies he started with his ignorant question. If he had any ounce of intelligence he would be able to comprehend the statement "this is not a crossbow debate forum" before he clicked on the Crossbow section of Huntingnet.com. I agree with others in this thread that I don't have to justify my preference of hunting with a crossbow to anybody. I've hunted with and owned all types of bows, pistols, shotguns & rifles in my lifetime. What I choose to use and why is up to me as long as it is legal. And in Virginia a crossbow is legal to use by anyone who buys a seperate crossbow license. I still buy the regular archery license too just in case I want to use a verticle bow. Hey Swampdog, I also prefer to drive a Dodge Dakota Quad cab 4X4 over an electric car but again, that is my perogative and I don't have to justify that to anybody either.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

The biggest drawback for me in shooting a crossbow is trying to shoot behind yourself in a tree stand. I think it cuts your effective shooting radius by at least 15%.

I've already smacked a limb on a tree when I was SURE I had clearance and missed as a result.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started hunting during archery season for the first time this year. I got started because my friend had one. I do have bad shoulders and rotator cuffs in both shoulders. One wasoperated on but it is not back to 100%. The other one was in the same bad shape, but a therapist worked it back to useable shape. It should be operated on, but why cut when I can live with it.

Now back to xbows. I have hunted for the last 50 + years and never with a bow of any kind. I must say that the xbow is a lot of fun to operate and shoot. I have not harvested any game with mine yet, but the season is not over yet.Why the other bow hunters have a problem with xbow is beyond me. But then again, they don't like gun hunters much either! I don't want to say they are an arrogant bunch, but if it walks like aduck...
Old 12-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

it is legel in indiana late season i dont like compound hunting with all the clothes on,plus if you only have public
ground to hunt the deer are so wise by then i think they can see you blink let alone draw back
Old 12-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

I'll use a crossbow during shotgun season. We don't have rifle season in Ohio,but crossbows are legal during archery season as well. 2 reasons for it
1) I don't have to buy a shotgun and slugs.
2) A lot of the areas I hunt are so thick that I can't see far enough to make a shotgun worthwhile anyway. A deer will be within range of my crossbow by the time I see it. I spent $250 on my Horton and the accessories for it and it's pretty good out to 30 yards. I've never tried to push it past there but the way it shoots I would guess that accurately it will go to 40-45 yards, I just don't know about speed and don't want to just wound an animal.
A third I guess would be I just love shooting the thing. It's cool as hell.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

I think it is fun, different, legal and challenging.
This has been a great thread, and also a nice view in to the evolution of the inevitable. It seems crossbows are quickly making their mark in the archery world, resuming the position they should never have left.
I think recurves, crossbows and compounds all have their place,
throwing arrows and tradingfresh meat for a close encounter.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Fork Horn

the truth is, the new generation of compound bows are even more accurate than crossbows, and they also usually shoot with a flatter trajectory. the only thing that is easier about a crossbow, is that you don't have to worry about being seen during the act of drawing the bow back.

your challenge arguement, no longer applies. go back 15 years and shoot an old Bear Whitetail or something, and then you're justified about the advantages of a crossbow---but not today, if you're shooting a Hoyt or Matthews, etc.

Here's the thing I don't get---bow hunters look down on crossbow users, because it's "not challenging". If you want a challenge, replace those sweet shooting Hoyts, Bowtechs and Matthews with a nice, stiff longbow or recurve.

I shoot a High Country bow, by the way----it's just easier than having to practice for hours with a crossbow. I need all the advantages that I can get.

Quick Reply: Point of using a cross bow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.