HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   BIG Ohio Buck down (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/273889-big-ohio-buck-down.html)

newguy23 11-16-2008 03:54 PM

BIG Ohio Buck down

Slayed this one with my Excalibur Vortex! I am on a great stretch of big bucks... knock on wood! This is my biggest yet!

newguy23 11-16-2008 03:55 PM

RE: BIG Ohio Buck down

another pic.

newguy23 11-16-2008 03:55 PM

and one last one...

DaGriz 11-16-2008 04:21 PM

Awesome buck!!Congratulations!!!

coyote170 11-16-2008 05:01 PM

Congrats,truely an awesome deer!:D

newguy23 11-16-2008 06:41 PM

Story:

I had taken all of last week of work to hunt. Started hunting the 7th.

I hunt in southeast Ohio (Athens County), on my private 100 acres. I took a very large 11-pointer last year there during pre-rut (Oct. 28th).

All week I saw a ton of deer, more than I could track including a significant number of immature bucks. Some of these bucks were "decent" 8-pointers, but nothing I would get excited over.

I was gettin a little frustrated after hunting for a week hard (8+ hours a day) and Saturday rolled around and I woke up to a pouring rain storm. I had to muster all of my courage to drag myself out there, luckily I had a covered stand, but would get drenched getting to it. I crawled in my stand just before dawn and sat down. Just around daylight a large buck came out and crossed the small field I was set up over, I couldn't make out his rack, but he was a big bodied buck. He came out sniffed my estrous lure and walked away before I could get a look at him. More frustration!

About an hour later a doe came out to feed in front of me. I was excited by this, because I knew what "could" follow. About 5 minutes later a "shooter" ten pointer comes following my estrous trail I layed down. The trail was over my shoulder, but curved back in front of me. This wasa great deer by any measure and I picked up my cross-bow (Excalibur Vortex) and waited for him to cross my path as I chose to take him if the opportunity existed. Just as he came into my shooting lane I caught a glimpse of the BIG 8-pointer to my right. My heart started racing and I turned my attention towards him.

Doe in the middle and two mature bucks on either side (15-yards). The doe took off in the woods away from me and the bucks followed quickly. The 8-pointer hang at the edge of the woods at 30 yards looking dead in, butt-end towards me. I gauged him and decided if he would quarter at all I would let my slick-trick fly.

He quartered ever so slightly and I lauched my bolt, it entered him just in front of his calf and stuck completely into his chest (THUD). He ran 125 yards downhill and crashed. No blood, but I could smell his tarsals a mile away when I went looking for him about an hour after the shot.

smokepolehall 11-17-2008 08:20 AM

congrats on your great Buck

awshucks 11-17-2008 09:23 AM

Nice! Great story and pics to boot, congrats!

BuddyBo 11-17-2008 05:09 PM

That had to get your thumping gizzard going, watching two nice bucks and deciding which one to shoot. WOW. Nice buck and great story to boot!
BBO

EnglishHope 11-26-2008 10:33 AM

Wow! Nice buck. I plan on shooting one with the crossbow this weekend. Good job!