Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 BIG Ohio Buck down >

BIG Ohio Buck down

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

BIG Ohio Buck down

Old 11-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default BIG Ohio Buck down

Slayed this one with my Excalibur Vortex! I am on a great stretch of big bucks... knock on wood! This is my biggest yet!

Old 11-16-2008, 03:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: BIG Ohio Buck down

another pic.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:55 PM
Typical Buck

and one last one...

Old 11-16-2008, 04:21 PM
Banned

Awesome buck!!Congratulations!!!
Old 11-16-2008, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats,truely an awesome deer!
Old 11-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

Story:

I had taken all of last week of work to hunt. Started hunting the 7th.

I hunt in southeast Ohio (Athens County), on my private 100 acres. I took a very large 11-pointer last year there during pre-rut (Oct. 28th).

All week I saw a ton of deer, more than I could track including a significant number of immature bucks. Some of these bucks were "decent" 8-pointers, but nothing I would get excited over.

I was gettin a little frustrated after hunting for a week hard (8+ hours a day) and Saturday rolled around and I woke up to a pouring rain storm. I had to muster all of my courage to drag myself out there, luckily I had a covered stand, but would get drenched getting to it. I crawled in my stand just before dawn and sat down. Just around daylight a large buck came out and crossed the small field I was set up over, I couldn't make out his rack, but he was a big bodied buck. He came out sniffed my estrous lure and walked away before I could get a look at him. More frustration!

About an hour later a doe came out to feed in front of me. I was excited by this, because I knew what "could" follow. About 5 minutes later a "shooter" ten pointer comes following my estrous trail I layed down. The trail was over my shoulder, but curved back in front of me. This wasa great deer by any measure and I picked up my cross-bow (Excalibur Vortex) and waited for him to cross my path as I chose to take him if the opportunity existed. Just as he came into my shooting lane I caught a glimpse of the BIG 8-pointer to my right. My heart started racing and I turned my attention towards him.

Doe in the middle and two mature bucks on either side (15-yards). The doe took off in the woods away from me and the bucks followed quickly. The 8-pointer hang at the edge of the woods at 30 yards looking dead in, butt-end towards me. I gauged him and decided if he would quarter at all I would let my slick-trick fly.

He quartered ever so slightly and I lauched my bolt, it entered him just in front of his calf and stuck completely into his chest (THUD). He ran 125 yards downhill and crashed. No blood, but I could smell his tarsals a mile away when I went looking for him about an hour after the shot.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on your great Buck
Old 11-17-2008, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice! Great story and pics to boot, congrats!
Old 11-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

That had to get your thumping gizzard going, watching two nice bucks and deciding which one to shoot. WOW. Nice buck and great story to boot!
BBO
Old 11-26-2008, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

Wow! Nice buck. I plan on shooting one with the crossbow this weekend. Good job!

Quick Reply: BIG Ohio Buck down

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.