Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Xbowed a Buffalo >

Xbowed a Buffalo

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Xbowed a Buffalo

Old 11-13-2008, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Xbowed a Buffalo

We have something very similar up here in Maine. I got a cow elk at the range here last year to test my medieval crossbow. It is a great way to fill the freezer with some very good meat. Congrats
Wyvern
Old 11-13-2008, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks and sounds like a lot of fun Dan. The drag must have been hell though.

Will you sent the hide out to make a nice buff robe?? That would be a cool trophy..
Old 11-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Planter

Looks and sounds like a lot of fun Dan. The drag must have been hell though.

Will you sent the hide out to make a nice buff robe?? That would be a cool trophy..
The guide had to tie a rope around it's horns and pull the head up for the pic. No hide tanning here. Priced it at $20 per sq foot. Taxiderm guy had one off a 600 lb hanging on his wall for sale, just wanted his $ out of it....$800. Too pricey for me.

Congrats on the cow elk, Wyvern, now that was a real challenge!!
Old 11-15-2008, 08:51 AM

Congrats Dan! Thats top notch! Is this your first ever bison, or have you taken some previously? A bison hunt would not be a bad Idea for me if the time and money ever lined up.

Congrats again!

Old 11-17-2008, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

Congrats Dan! Thats top notch! Is this your first ever bison, or have you taken some previously? A bison hunt would not be a bad Idea for me if the time and money ever lined up.

Congrats again!

It was my first. Ever since I was a kid, I wanted to shoot a "buff". Really wanted to use a Sharpes SS in some huge caliber, but can't justify the price and have no long range area to shoot one here in my part of Ar.

The funny part of this story hasn't been told til now. I had googled 3-D buff targets, $2000 for full size, to find the "12" ring". Also had done some research on arrow placement posted by a recurve shooter. The guide confirmed my estimate on shot placement, but as I was holding the X hair on the imaginary "12", finger tightening on the trigger, all I could think of was the times ole Smokepole whipped my azz at 3-D shoots, lol.

I'm not sure if the shot was a "12" or a "10" but it did the job very well.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you want to take it easy on you when we shoot i can do that, switch over to my right shoulder and learn how to shoot that way. thats not a bad way to practice just in case i need to shoot right handed like i did getting my Doe this year