HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   I need some fussing at (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/268836-i-need-some-fussing.html)

BuddyBo 10-19-2008 03:11 PM

I need some fussing at

Well, please fuss at me for what I'm about to tell ya, please, cause I ought to have my aske kicked good! Ishot a beautiful big 8 pointer Sat. evening at 6:05 PM. He was broadside and standing still even. But when I shot, he cocked down and turned to run and I hit him in the hip I think. I looked for him for two hours after leaving him alone for 3 hours. Temps in the low 40s last night. Then back in the woods for three hours this morning and still no buck or arrow. I saw the lighted nock arc towards his lungs but he moved before it got there. Then I heard it hit him, whack! Then no lighted nock in sight in him or on the ground. Now here's the fussing at me part. I didn't think he would come any closer to me since I hadn't been putting out corn cause of the price of it, so I ranged him with my Nikon at 55 yards! I took the shot and it would have been good, only he heard the shot before the arrow got to him. That's right, I said, 55 yards. Ain't that stupid? Go ahead, let me have it. I need it. Really. I can only say I'm sorry I made a stupid shot and wounded a nice buck. I think he will live but he's hurting. Yes he left a little bright red muscle blood here and there. I won't EVER take a long shot like that again. I promise!
BBO

coyote170 10-19-2008 03:21 PM

RE: I need some fussing at

Youve already said it all,question is did you learn anything?;)

Dnk 10-19-2008 03:54 PM

Very funny Buddy. I don't believe it for a minute. I bet it was a nightmare!

smokepolehall 10-19-2008 05:45 PM

just what CB were you dream shooting this Buck with ? i knowed it weren't no Ten pt nor Horton as slow as they are!:D

BuddyBo 10-19-2008 05:53 PM

Yeah Smoke, it were a Ten Point CB. And I practice at out to 60 yards all the time and have even killed at 72 yards before. But, this time, he moved too much and I lost him.
BBO

smokepolehall 10-19-2008 07:07 PM

Fuss/scold no its a lesson learned i am sure of that. i won't even shoot at a deer at 45 yds with my vixen because its too slow. sorry you lost him i am also sorry for the deer.

ranger56528 10-19-2008 08:56 PM

[X(][:o].........[&o].

martinfaw 10-19-2008 09:09 PM

ORIGINAL: BuddyBo

Well, please fuss at me for what I'm about to tell ya, please, cause I ought to have my aske kicked good!
Buddy, instead of doing this you should turn over your big buck shooting rights
your condo stand with theradio and heater to me for the rest of the season as I am but a short drive away :D:D:D

Martin

Hotburn76 10-19-2008 09:16 PM

First buck I ever shot was a experience similar, but not as bad and had a happy ending. I learned a lot about string jump on that first buck. I had only been Hunting with a CB for two years or so, I think I was 18 or 19. Looking back I think the deer was only 25 yards away. I was on the ground with a huge rotten stump behind me. The buck had came out of a woods and was walking away from me when I hit a grunt tube, he turned on a dime and came right at me. At about the 25 yard mark he stopped and was quartering to me a little with his left shoulder lung side when I shot. The bolt went in on his right rear hip! I watched the buck jump and pivot on his back legs faster the the arrow could get there. I did not know it at the time though. I assumed he pivoted from being hit in the lungs. He ran off into the sunrise and I had no blood. Being new to this I made a second mistake, I got up and went right after him. No blood at all, so I just walked in his direction. About three hundred yards away I ran across a path that looked liked someone turned on a garden hose of blood, my arrow found that big artery after he ran for a while. I fallowed the blood, and there was my deer, down with my arrow in his right rear hip. I was amazed that a deer could do a 180 in the time it took my old super mag Horton to get there, but he did. Like I said, I was aiming at his left front, and it hit his right rear. After that Ihave never shot at a deer past 15 yards. I say 20 is my desired shot distance, and 30 my max, but all my deer have come close, and I like that. I will never forget what that buck did and how lucky I was to get him.

kodiakhuntmaster 10-19-2008 11:55 PM

No "finger shaking lesson" is necessary as you have already learned your lesson from the school of hard knocks. I'll bet your next deer goes down in it's tracks though.