Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Looking into a crossbow....help. >

Looking into a crossbow....help.

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Looking into a crossbow....help.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default Looking into a crossbow....help.

Don't know a whole hell of alot about them. I'm 39, have pins in my right knee and an f'd up shoulder. Doc says he'll waive me for the crossbow permit we need here in WI. Already have an old PSE compound, but like the crossbow idea. If anyone knows a good bit about startup costs and what's a good reputable brand out there for bow, bolts and accessories...fill me in.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Looking into a crossbow....help.

The best advise I can give you is to call David Wilkens at Wyvern Creations 603-659-0575 he is the most helpful and caring person
I have ever had the pleasure of doing business with.His knowledge
and customer service and prices are second to none!He goes way
beyond when it comes to customer service,and will start you on the
right path on your search,good luck any help I can be of,let me know!
Old 10-16-2008, 09:06 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I'll agree, David is one of the best to deal with. He really does give a crap about you and what you need. Very few retailers of anything are on your side like David is. He will sell you want you need to buy not what he wants to sell you like many retailers.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:59 PM

I have never talked with Dave, only in post on here. But the guys really like him and he has a great deal of support on here for him. I like Dave for the simple fact that he sells the stuff, but you never see it pushed on here. I would say give him a call and he can give you a great bit of advice, and some of the best prices too.

Since you probably may not want three answers on a forum telling you to use a phone, I will try to give a little advice. You will get what you pay for plain and simple. I like my Excal, simple and has the best CB trigger that I have ever pulled. I have two Hortons also, but the Excal is my go to CB and my Horton's are my loaners. IMO if you end up with a Excal, Ten Point, or upper end Horton, you will be good to go, but go to a store that lets you shoot them and try as many as you can.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome and what a great time to be looking for a crossbow.
So many great ones to choose from.
I shoot an Excalibur Equinox,it fit's me.Go out and shoot as many as you can and buy the one You like and has the features You want.Good luck in your search
Old 10-17-2008, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

Quality bow - $400 - $1100
Arrows - $25 - $40 for 6
Broadheads - $30 - $70 for 6
Quiver - $20 - $50 for a quiver
Sight - $120ish

Of course, you can add arrow building equiment or shop at Walmart for the accesories. The one thing I can say for sure is that it is best to spend the bulk of your money on the crossbow, even if you are borrowing a scope off a rifle or using Walmart broadheads, etcfor a year or 2. The bow could last a lifetime, or maybe you decide to sell it used in the classifieds. . .either way, a quality bow is best. Unlike other things, there isn't really a beginner bow you should start with. If you sell a desirable Excal, Tenpoint or Horton, I would guess you could get almost full value with 50 bolts down it.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

The kind of bow you get depends on numerous considerations. Like, the extend of your limitations, how you hunt, how it fits, and of course your budget for same. There are two types of bows: recurve and compound (I own and shoot two recurves and a compound). Recurves are generally, wider but very reliable and much easier to maintain. Compounds are narrower but more complex to maintain due to cables and cams. Fit is a big issue, so do try any bow you are interested in to see if it fits you. Trigger pull is important for me because it can affect accuracy. Try to actually shoot the bow for that reason. Company support and service is very important. Excalibur, Ten Point and Parker have virtually unlimited lifetime warranty. (I recently had a Parker bow blow up, due to a faulty arrow, Parker replace it...no questions asked.) Excalibur is also know for it's support, their co. owner is actively engaged (visit their web site) in making sure the customer is happy. There are other maker like Horton, Barnett and BowTech as well. I mention them but have no personal experience with.
Do call Dave, he can answer your questions. Then go out and try shooting as many as you can.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went from a Horton to a an Excalibur Vortex and love it. I have fairly severe back problems and after repeated cocking of the 200# draw I tire somewhat. I'm still glad I went with the Vortex though....It's awesome and scary accurate. Can't hardly shoot groups without damaging bolts / vanes out to 30yrds!!!!

chris
Old 10-18-2008, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buckhunter46755

. . . It's awesome and scary accurate. Can't hardly shoot groups without damaging bolts / vanes out to 30yrds!!!!

chris
Yea, that is a good newbie tip. When shooting my bow at first, I was trying to shoot three shot groups in a single bullseye. After a few destroyed arrows, I learned to put 1 arrow per bullseye. A crossbow in tune can hit the same hole almost every time out to about 40 or 50 yards!
Old 10-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I no longer shoot for groups with my Vortex, too expensive.

Quick Reply: Looking into a crossbow....help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.