Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Anyone else bummed this season? >

Anyone else bummed this season?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Anyone else bummed this season?

Old 10-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default Anyone else bummed this season?

Guess its more of bummed and a rant.

Last year while not taking a deer with my bow, at least I got the option of shooting at them. Also could hunt basically everyday after work if I didn't have any plans at home.I did pretty good later on in the year with the old trusty smokepole.

However this yr everything is different. I moved locations for work, I use to be able to leave work and be in 1 of 7 stands within 15 minutes. I also had 1200 acres to hunt. Now I work an hour away from home, can no longer hunt them 1200 acres. I only have one spot thats just over 10 acres down the street from me. Not that great of a spot but there is some deer sign there. All other land is spoken for by the hunt clubs in the surrounding area. When regular gun season starts I switch back and forth between my bow and blackpowder. Just have no interest in running dogs for deer hunting. Would rather sit in the woods all alone and enjoy being away from people and stuff.

My season started the 4th. It started with landowners dog barking and following me half way.No big deal, he is doing his job of watching his property and they are nice enough to allow me to hunt there. Morning I saw nothing, afternoon hunt gets messed up just as I am in my truck heading to the spot (long story). This past saturday I got up showered, dressed and my stomach didn't agree. I opted to skip the morning at being 15ft up a tree might slow my progress of an emergency. I go in the evening, nice cool breeze take my time get settled in my stand. 2 hours go by and nothing, but prime time was rolling around. Almost 5pm and I nearly soil myself from a gun shot. [:@]A few minutes later there is another. I climb down and ease out the back way to walk into my friends back yard. There is their neighbor shooting his blackpowder gun 60 yards from my stand at the"Y" in the driveway(his driveway and my friends are joined for 3/4 of a mile off the main road). His house sits in the middle of a field, but walks down the road and shoots towards the main road to sight in his gun.

I know its early in the season, but just feel as I am wasting my time. I have waited all year for this, yet left with no time during the week to hunt, not alot of land, and some force on the weekends stopping me. Kinda feel as one of my favorite things to do impossible now.

I told the wife last night at dinner I might have to start playing the lottery. Maybe winenough moneyto buy me some land to hunt away from everyone.

Anyone got some lucky numbers for me to try?

Dave

Old 10-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone else bummed this season?

i feel for you on this deal of hunting land. i lost 2 places to hunt but got another 30 acres or so i can hunt on down the road 300 yds. hope you hang in there
Old 10-13-2008, 02:48 PM
Typical Buck

I will always love to hunt. Just times I really wonder why put forthso much effort when your rewards will be very few and far between.

The best thing I got right now is my little boy. He will be 4 yrs old next month, normally after I get home from work we will go for a ride and look for some deer in the fields. He has his toy bows and little pop gun to play with. You turn on a hunting show and he will tell you "Ssshhh, quiet a deer is coming" All he wants to do is go hunting with dad and shot a deer with one of his arrows. Really can't wait for him to get just a little older and get a little bullblind for us both to hunt from.

I have taken him out of the truck and got him within 30 yards of a doe at a friends yard that is next to a small field. Just couldn't keep him still longer than 10 seconds. But he's 3, so can't expect much and then he is excited for seeing the deer.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

those little ones are great to share a passion of hunting with. don't be down as i have known the times where i only got to go 2 or 3 vtimes the whole season. just being out there makes life worth living
Old 10-14-2008, 11:00 PM

I have not stuck one yet, but feel like this year is a good one so far. Seeing deer, and have passed up some.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

Hang in there KryptKeeper!!! I have had a similar situation as yours and started wondering why I put myself through all the hard work and effort only to be disappointed time and again. Thats when strange things can happen to turn your luck around.Just hang in there and make the best of the situation. You never know what could come around the corner.....right in your sights. Best of luck.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

I lost two very productive places to hunt last year (neighborsare anti-hunting and the land owners did not want to deal with that anymore). I endedup joininga low-cost club withlimited field time (lottery), just to get a week of muzzleloader.Workinghard to secure morelocations. Problem thereisit take me some time to figure out the property.What keeps me going it the feeling of success when get to harvesta deer.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am having the same problems with hunting lands. I lost my most favorite place ever this year. I really mis it, but try to be happy with what I have left. I still hunt with a friend that has a small plot and it is rich with deer. The only problem now is that he has poachers and I am getting really possed. He has a huge monster on his property and I think the poachers know it. He has heard gunfire late at night and we now think they got him. If I ever find out who did this I will rip them a new one. [:@]

I too wish I could win the lottery and find a nice place to call home and hunt till my heart's content. But that is a good story for the movies, and not for me.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the well wishes guys.

Hopefully it gets better. Co-worker told me his club lost several places this yr from older people passing and their kids not wanting any hunting on the land, and others from city folk buying the land and not wanting hunters.

Another co-worker told me his club sent out checks by mail to landowners they pay to allow them to hunt. 1 week later they get a check returned and told no more hunting.

I have to work tomorrow till noon. so will try to get out in the evening. If anything my neice asked me to take her fishing. So will see about getting her and my little boy out to do some fishing.

Dave
Old 10-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Fork Horn

All I got last year was a ticket. So far this year, I've seen a lot more dear, all the wrong sex. But I still have tomorrow and next weekend. I still have hope.

Oh, and we're just about to sign a $50,000 settlement agreement from last year's ticket. I guess this year isn't a total loss.

Quick Reply: Anyone else bummed this season?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.