Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 help gettin' crossbow sighted in >

help gettin' crossbow sighted in

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

help gettin' crossbow sighted in

Old 09-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default help gettin' crossbow sighted in

i'm shooting a 20" bolt with 125 grain 3 blade broadhead . when i shoot with a 125 grain field point it's dead on everytime... with a broadhead it's shootin' to the left about 10-12". i really don't want to spend $40 on expandables any ideas?
Old 09-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: help gettin' crossbow sighted in

Just make some adjustments when shooting your broadheads. Then again they should not be off that far .. are you sure the blades are straight?
Old 09-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Spike

Shoot each arrow 3 times with a different vane down each time, mark the vane that shoots best. Worked for my cb. Also spin test them first.

Good luck, Stan
Old 09-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Imho, you got real problems. I set up a Horton RT HD 175 for a friend last fall, had great groups w/ field tips at 20 and 30, but my beloved Slicks were 10" low right at 30. Obviously, something wrong w/ bow, but Horton told me to "just go w/ mechanicals" even though this was a package bow w/ Horton low profile bheads included. We didn't try them, as the friend had already decided to off the Horton for a different name bow. It's still a puzzle to me, if you figure yours out, please post the answer.......
Old 10-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Spike

I'm having a similar problem. Dead on with 125gr field points out to 40 yards. Decided to go with G5 Montec 125gr 3 blade BH's so I bought the practice BH's made by Montec for that BH. Well, now my grouping seems eratic (not usually a problem for me). How important is it that the blades of the BH align with the bolt's vanes? Could this be my problem?
Old 10-15-2008, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

2 things to consider. What is the diameter of the broadhead? What is your FOC? IMO, both will help you get the stability you are looking for. Too large a diameter seems to make a broadhead spin drift, IME. Also, more FOC helps your vanes point the arrow better. Moving the balance point forward gives them a longer axis to work with. In the end, I don't really know exactly what helped, but switching to ABC Bolt Sonics and Blazer 2" Vanes has me running in top form at 467 gr.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nksmfamjp

2 things to consider. What is the diameter of the broadhead? What is your FOC? IMO, both will help you get the stability you are looking for. Too large a diameter seems to make a broadhead spin drift, IME. Also, more FOC helps your vanes point the arrow better. Moving the balance point forward gives them a longer axis to work with. In the end, I don't really know exactly what helped, but switching to ABC Bolt Sonics and Blazer 2" Vanes has me running in top form at 467 gr.
Good advice, added FOC has cured alot of bhead ailments. I wished I'd of been able to try that w/ the Horton I mentioned in previous post on this thread.

Trying to align 3 blade bheads w/ vanes on carbons is a good way to get in trouble, imho. I'm a bigger believer in added FOC and spin testing than I am that method.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Spike

My cutting diameter is 1 1/8" Please pardon my ignorance but I don't know what FOC is. Please let me know because it sounds like a solution!!
Old 10-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Spike

i had the exact same problem u are having a couple years ago.....iswitched tomechanical broadheads and that fixed it......again this year a cousin of mine bought hell razors for his xbow and called and said his field tips were dead on but when he put a hellrazor on that it shot to the left about a foote...i suggested mechanicals so the next day he tried mechanicals and it fixed his problem also............hope this helped
Old 10-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Spike

Well, I'm not thrilled about buying a new set of BH's but it's looking like that is the easiest solution. Thanks!

Quick Reply: help gettin' crossbow sighted in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.