HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   How should I aim???? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/260610-how-should-i-aim.html)

lswoody 08-31-2008 08:06 AM

How should I aim????

When shooting from an elevated position, should I aim dead on, high or low????? Thanks, Scott Woody

awshucks 08-31-2008 10:15 AM

RE: How should I aim????

dead on, if animal is on level ground.

rafsob 09-06-2008 08:01 AM

I also would like to know the answer to this question. Is it any different from a tree stand or on level ground?

awshucks 09-06-2008 08:31 AM

Shooting uphill or downhill will have an effect no matter if you are in a stand or not. If the deer is on level ground, i.e. not in a deep valley or way up a ridge, you just use the range from tree your stand is in to the deer. I did quite a bit of experimenting on this, used a bow at about 330 fps. Your results may vary.

rafsob 09-06-2008 09:14 AM

Thanks awshucks, I was getting a little confused for a moment. Orwas that senior moment, can't remember! ;)

nksmfamjp 09-10-2008 12:57 PM

In theory, you should aim a bit low, but at our ranges, it makes no difference. i.e. if you aim 1/4" low, but your crossbow shoots 4" groups at that distance, who knows?

On the other hand. . .Crossbows are noisy, so you should expect some deer flinch. They tend to flinch down in the initial move to take off. That can be a 2 - 4" drop. I have always been told to aim 2 - 4" low to avoid a high lung shot or back shot.

tennhunter 09-10-2008 05:08 PM

Gravity only affects the horizontal distance traveled.

For example, assume on level ground that the distance from the base of your tree is 30 yards to your target and that the actual (diagonal)distance from the treestand to the target is 32 yards.

Gravity would only act on your arrow as if it had traveled 30 yards, even though it had actually traveled 32 yards. You should therefore aim as you would normally on a 30 yard shot.

motuna 09-17-2008 07:05 AM

The easiest way to answer your question...set up a target in your back yard or after the season starts, take a few practice shots from the elevation that you will be shooting from.
and one more thing an arrow or bolt traveling at 300 feet per second, thats 100 yards per second, takes 1/3 second for a 30 yard shot, that's mighty fast reaction to "jump the string"

Cossack 09-17-2008 07:48 AM

Simply put, for CB shooting purposes, its' the horizontal distance (from the base of the tree your stand is in) to the intended target. Gravity acts on your arrow over that span, thereby affecting trajectory. Vertical distance, practically speaking, has no effect.

smokepolehall 09-17-2008 08:54 AM

heres my nickel [8D]depending on your deer and if its close, with my rifle scope using its cross hair i shoot low by a few inches on all of the shots 25 yds & less. the higher i go up the lower i shoot [:-][:o]:D