Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 newbie needs advice on cocking >

newbie needs advice on cocking

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

newbie needs advice on cocking

Old 08-30-2008, 10:53 PM

Default newbie needs advice on cocking

I have a 5 lb weight restriction. I am looking for advice on what's available.
What will I need to be able to cock a crossbow & huint successfully?
I have absolutely no knowledge of crossbows.
I didn't have time to do much reading before posting. I'll start reading the next time I'm online.

Any advice onsearches to do to find more info?
Old 08-31-2008, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: newbie needs advice on cocking

With that kind of weight restriction, you will need a mechanical cocker. Each maker of crossbows has their own kind.
Ten Point makes one that is incorporated into the stock of the bow. You can even use a cordless drill to work it.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

The problem you are going to have is there isn't a crossbow out there suitable for hunting that weighs 5 pounds.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:46 PM

I will be able to carry enough weight on my left side. I just can't abuse my right side. I can pick up a gallon of water without falling over.
pushing, pulling & twisting are not good, Very controlled slow movements I can get by with. I will know if I am exceeding my capabilities. I am able to pick up a 12 ga shotgun but not shoulder it. I could set it on a rest and shoulder it. I very carefully and slowly changed the thermostats on my truck. I had to make my wrench/ratchet longer to cut down the poundage of effort.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

I don't believe you'll find any Xbows that you can cock with a 5# weight limit to operate the crank. 5#s pressure to operate is less than most think. I test measure that 5# weight limit regularly. My Stryker has about the easiest crank around and it's over 5#s to operate the crank.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen a mechanical cocker operated witha cordless drill.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

Butwhat, you need to go to your crossbow dealer and find something you can cock and go from there. Excalibur has a bow the Vixen ( a recurve)which weighs around 6 lbs, that is good to hunt with. They have a cocker (crankaroo) but the pressure to wind it might be to much. Ten Point has a cocker (accudraw ) which I think winds with the lowest pressure of any cockerwhich you can have installed on the Vixen.

Martin
Old 08-31-2008, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: martinfaw

Butwhat, you need to go to your crossbow dealer and find something you can cock and go from there. Excalibur has a bow the Vixen ( a recurve)which weighs around 6 lbs, that is good to hunt with. They have a cocker (crankaroo) but the pressure to wind it might be to much. Ten Point has a cocker (accudraw ) which I think winds with the lowest pressure of any cockerwhich you can have installed on the Vixen.

Martin
This is the best advice Butwhat.

I would also look closely at the Ten Point. Good product, and people. You have a question and they will answer it. They treat every customer as if they where their last or first or whatever. Great company!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-31-2008, 06:05 PM

Thanks, I live south of Chicago about 90 miles and 20 miles west of Indiana. Does anybody know where a good place to go for crossbow help would be?
There is a guy in Morroco Indiana that is really good with bows but I don't know if he knows crossbows.
Thanks again. I'm learning.
I do have 2 appointments in down town Chicago area this week. I refuse to spend any money in Cook county if it can be helped. It bothers me just to go to the Doc there but I don't have much choice.