Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

first timer

Old 08-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default first timer

Would like to extend my season this year and been wanting one ever since Virginia allowed them during bow season. With that said, what do you guys recomend. Trying not to kill the wallet but want a decent one.Tad more then I want to spend but the Barnett Predator has caught myeye. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: first timer

Many will put down the Barnett line...but for the price, most work fine. I've got a Quad 400, works well, no problems, accurate.

I also have some higher end bows that cost much more...but I also like better than the Quad.

Try hitting the "search" button...you'll find hours of reading...here and other crossbow boards.

Have fun.

Mike
Old 08-29-2008, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

i am not going to name a CB for you, what i like and what you like maybe entirely diff. what i will do is lay out some good pointers. which type do you prefer ? recurve or compound, weight, balance, comfort. how much arrow speed how much poundage do you want to pull. cost how much can you actually afford. these things ask yourself and honestly answer your own ?'s. there are many posts on this forum to read, they go back several yrs. take some time and read before jumpimg up and buying. try to shoot every CB your inerested in
Old 08-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Price is a consideration but should not be the only one. Do consider the warranty, the ease of maintenance, the need for service, how it fits you, the trigger, esp the trigger, as well as the other factors previously entioned. If you're going to live with this decision for a while, look at, handle and esp shoot as many as you can.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

if you just go hunting,only shoot a little, go with mikes idea on barnett.

SPROULE main thing is having a local shop available that can fix bow,that is what i would put first.

what do i know anyhow
Old 08-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for the posts. I am only looking to use one for the month of bow season before firearms. I prefer the smokepole and shotgun. No need to mortage the house for one as I see that they can get up there in price. Using a comparision, are Barnetts like Mossberg and others would be your Brownings and Remingtons.