HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Silencer Kit. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/258402-silencer-kit.html)

Southern Buck 08-18-2008 11:20 AM

Silencer Kit.

Im new to the whole crossbow thing, do I need to get a silenceing kit for my crossbow or does it really matter?

GrumpyTom 08-18-2008 11:27 AM

RE: Silencer Kit.

ORIGINAL: Southern Buck

Im new to the whole crossbow thing, do I need to get a silenceing kit for my crossbow or does it really matter?
The plain answer is NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crossbows are just plain noisy, but then so is the arrow in travel. Just about all noise damppening systems will slow down your arrow speed some, and since you can never totally quieten your bow or stop the arrrow from making noise (in flight) I would rather have the extra speed. Just remember to keep your shots to a reasonable range and you should not have any problems.

Mike Van Veghten 08-18-2008 12:45 PM

Depends on a lot of things.
How noisy is your bow?
The bow design makes a lot of difference.
How quiet do you want to make it?

The two quietest bows on the current market are the Bowtech Desert Stryker and the Horton reCon 175.
I've got a reCon, added two Bowjax limb silencers to it....all I get now is a fairly quiet "thud" sound. Very nice!

Then there are some bows...like grumpy says....not much you can do to make big steps to quiet them.

Though of the three silencers I've tried, the Boxjax come up a bit better than the others...to my ears anyway.

Mike

Southern Buck 08-18-2008 02:06 PM

Thanks for the help I think im just gonna let it stay like it is its not that terribly loud, I dont think a deer is gonna dodge a arrow at 345 fps at 25 yards.

Dnk 08-18-2008 06:32 PM

An STS will lower the shock and noise and will not cost you any speed, if there is one available for your bow. On some bows you can fill the hollow cavity in the rail or any cavity with expandible foam and that will not cost you any speed either. Of the things you can put on your string Cat whiskers will cost you the least amount of arrow speed if you can serve them well enough. When I put cat whiskers on my bow they do not come off and are quite affective in noise reduction.
I like to silence my bows for a couple of reasons. The main one is that I find I find it distracting when I practice. Of course I don't notice the noise level from my 300 Win Mag when I whack something so when hunting noise reduction is not as important to me. But I keep on thinking that some day I whack a deer there will be a big rack following 50 yards behind it that will not hear my shot. So I see it as a slight benefit in the field.
Some have never heard a bow silenced to the degree my Y25 is and those who shoot it are amazed.