HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Barnett Quad 400 junk (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/257059-barnett-quad-400-junk.html)

kodiakhuntmaster 08-11-2008 12:46 AM

Barnett Quad 400 junk

I ordered the Barnett quad 400 crossbow from Cabelas and just got it in today. I followed all the directions and put it together just the way it said it was supposed to go, but when I went to shoot it the problems began.

When I went to load it the first time I found the bolt holder (little metal thing that holds the bolt on the rail) was sized wrong and would not hold the bolt in place. It didn't even make contact. No big deal, it's just a piece of metal and after I uncocked the bow I bent it back into place. Then when I cocked it again and got ready to shoot, I noticed the safety would not slide into the "fire" position. It was stuck. So upon inspection, it seemed a spring was jamming against the safety, when I tried the safety again it worked and I actually got to shoot it once. When I did I heard a "ping" sound and the spring shot out of the action. Apparently, this is the spring that holds the trigger in the forward position because now the trigger flops around in the breeze. After this I read some reviews on this xbow and saw that these kind of problems seem to be common.

So have any of you had any problems like this? My solution is just to send it back and get another brand. I can't seem to get ahold of Barnett customer service, so I'm going to get another brand. What crossbow would you all recomend in the $300-$600 range?

I thought about just having the bow repaired, but after all this and reading the reviews, I'm afraid to shoot/hunt withthis thing.

If nothing else I have my back up xbow, a Horton Summit 150 HD, it's not fast but it worked last year and the quality is far above the Barnett.

lyuv 08-11-2008 02:54 AM

RE: Barnett Quad 400 junk

"Problems"? these are not problems.

I guess you didnt buy the recommended 0.5" arrows (by Barnett), so sure the holder didnt hold.

The safety is there for a reason. Liability issues demanded disabling the common but un-safe habit of people to engage the hazardous "fire" position.

And the trigger - Well, the "Breeze Trigger (TM)" is a unique feature of Barnett (pat. pending) offered free for a limited time. Be thankful.

I really dont understand your problem in getting the customer service. True, they didnt unswer any of my mails, but they did talk to me on the phone 3 times, and gave me an exiting variety of 3 different (and conflicting) answers to the same question.

smokepolehall 08-11-2008 03:01 AM

i am sorry you have gotten one of the bad Barnett CB's. that will take the wind out of your sails. you got a compound so i take it you prefer that style.
there maybe a couple Ten Pts. in that area of money & of course you can get a better Horton. Depending on your stock likes Parker has several models also. its so hard to recommend a CB for another my likes maynot be yours. the way one feels to me maybe diff than you feel it. for the money you have to buy the ones above should do well by you. i lke the Parker BB 175 lb model as a personal choice. i went to Bass Pro and tried every CB they had.

saxman1 08-11-2008 09:19 AM

I HAD a quad 400 for a few days
Sold it ,THANK GOD and got an excalibur.
The guy I sold it to said it blew up on him after 3 shots,he ordered a new one from them,sold it and got an excal,I guess it is still out there
Hope you get it all worked out

Bree243 08-11-2008 10:02 AM

I did a lot of research on the web before I settled on my Horton Summit 150HD (in my price range) some of the stuff I read about Barnett turned me away pretty quick. One guy had the bow granade on the first shot and the cable cut his throat requiring surgery. Barnett said he must have dry fired it and it was not covered under warrenty. What about the poor guys medical bills? I read about cracked limbs, bad safeties, terrible triggers, etc, etc, etc. I was going to get one until I did a bit of surfing and while I don't believe all I read on the net, the same tale from several differant sources gets my attention.

martinfaw 08-11-2008 11:13 AM

A lot of us me included started out with a barnett and went thru that expensive learning process. I would send it back and get a excalibur.

Martin

kodiakhuntmaster 08-11-2008 02:49 PM

Quad 400's blowing up... Seems to be a trend here.

I've been looking into the Parker "Terminator", but I can't find any reviews on it. I'm a little "gun shy" about ordering another xbow without hearing what others have to say about it.

The Barnett is going back to Cabelas. They even have a box for it on the return sheet; "Quality was not as expected".

Until I get refunded for it, I'm back to using my Horton Summit 150. It's slow, but it's consistant and SAFE.

StoredEnergy 08-11-2008 03:20 PM

Did you call Barnett customer service? If you bought a bow from another company would you call customer service then?

I will never understand how people would pay money for a product and not follow through to make sure that they are getting their money worth.

At the very least, call customer service, give them an earful and then send it back to Cabela's.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

smokepolehall 08-11-2008 05:35 PM

why fool with customer service if the seller agrees to take product back and refund or exchange ? if barnett was the only CB on the market i would be hunting with my ML!

northeast_hunter 08-11-2008 05:35 PM

Ive got a tenpoint, had it for 7 years now, performs good, no complaints