Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Broadhead lenght? >

Broadhead lenght?

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Broadhead lenght?

Old 08-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Broadhead lenght?

When ever in the past that I have been asked about which is the "Best Head" I have replied that many variables happen here.

Yes ........ accuracy is most important, if you can't hit where you want, then a larger cutting head will not really help.

Now between 3 or 4 blade heads, if there are the same cutting diameter, I would take the 4 blade head, but if the 3 blade is very much larger, I would choose the 3 blade (now assuming same accuracy). Yes cutting surface can be more important then cutting diameter, but there is also redundancy in cutting of the same organs or blood lines. Cutting the same blood line more then once will not give you a greater blood flow (there is only a certain amount of bllod flowing through a blood line, and the center portion of the cut will not bleed more then what was in that part of the line). Now the advantage of the greater cutting diameter is that the blades can reach further and could possibly cut a major artery or organ which might have been missed with the shorter head.

Now Awshucks I think you might have miss read my post. I was not trying to say that the over all broadhead length is more important then cutting diameter, only that it could become a major factor on angle of the shots you could make without taking a high risk for a deflection. IF you have a blade (does not matter if it was a mechanical, fixed -short stubby or long head) striking the animal before the tip starts to track into the animal, then you head tip will start to deflect (it must happen and will happen this way because physics says so). With this, the shorter heads, if they are a larger cutting dia, you will have a greater deflection problem (I believe this is why slick tricks are not in the 1.5" cutting dia sizes. I have seen mechanical heads that have the folded blades (ends) almost even with the tip of the head, this would cause the blade to push the tip away from the animal before it starts to track into it on angled shots. Not to many people think of this deflection problem when choosing heads which is why I pointed it out.

One of the most important aspects to haveing an accurate crossbow-head-arrow combination is your confidance in your setup. IF you are not sure of what the arrow will do when you release it, then you will probually not be as good as you could be, but if you are definate that it will hit where you want it to, then you will most likely hit exactly where you want. I guess what I just said is to choose a head which you are confidant in, no matter if it is a short stubby fixed, long large cutting dia fixed or mechanical, just be confidant in your setup.

As for my choice of a mechanical head, I did alot of research, testing, learned what maintance was required with each head before I chose a head to use. Mechanicals are not for everyone, there is maintance required to insure that they work properly, but they will give you the accuracy of field points but with a large cutting diameter. There are some mechanicals which I would not use even if someone was going to pay me to use them. But that is just my opinion and we all have our own ................ Correct.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Typical Buck

sorry double post
Old 08-09-2008, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

that's ok Tom, it was worth reading twice, lol. I agree there's pro's and con's to all types heads. Confidence and knowing your limits will help a great deal. I've taken a few, not many, deflection shots w/ mine on targets and passed on a 30 yd shot last fall on a huge doe because I didn't like the angle. She was on three legs scratching a tick too, hard a hard time w/ that call, lol.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

my nickel![8D]i like a trocar tipped B'Head doesn't matter if its a mech. or fixed/cut on contact they seem to dig right in and get the job done. Quick fast & in a hurry![:-]