Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Varizone scope legal in Alabama? >

Varizone scope legal in Alabama?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Varizone scope legal in Alabama?

Old 08-09-2008, 02:41 AM
Spike

Default RE: Varizone scope legal in Alabama?

tworr: I live in AR (Greenwood). Magnified scopes on crossbows are allowed.
Here is an AR specific hunting forum, they can give you all kinds of good AR specific info:
http://www.thearkansashuntingandfish....com/index.php
Old 08-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Spike

Alabama has some archaic hunting laws. It seems they want you to mame the animal instead of making a clean and humane kill.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

NightFire
I live in Heber Springs [on Greers Fairy lake]and Awshucks lives about 80 miles south west of me, one of these days maybe we could all get together for a boar hunting trip or something there is likely a couple more AR guys around somewhere to. Lee
Old 08-15-2008, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

NightFire
I live in Heber Springs [on Greers Fairy lake]and Awshucks lives about 80 miles south west of me, one of these days maybe we could all get together for a boar hunting trip or something there is likely a couple more AR guys around somewhere to. Lee
Good idea, Lee. I'm up for about anything, have a good layout for a 3-D setup. Tworr is over by LR, Mountainbuck from the Ar forum has already been here. I booked a buff hunt in Tx for sometime in Oct or early Nov when it cools down some.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did a pass on the magnified scopes for my xbow. I don't want to give myself a distorted sense of distance. If Iforget my range finder, I may get theidea that thedeer is in range and take a shot that is notmakeable.

Being a new guy to xbow hunting, I am trying to get it into my head the idea of distance restrictions and I think the magnified image will not help me for a realistic shot. I may be wrong, but it makes sense tome. Am I wrong?
Old 08-23-2008, 04:10 PM

I am new to the whole crossbow hunting thing myself. I do live and hunt in alabama and I'm just happy that AL finally woke up and made crossbows legal. As for the restrictions, I'm not sure why you'd need a magnification scope. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a shot at a range where magnification would come in handy. Excessively long shots are for the "professionals" and not for me.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

As for the restrictions, I'm not sure why you'd need a magnification scope. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a shot at a range where magnification would come in handy.
While I can't speak for every scoped xbower, I can tell you that the additional aim points from 10 through 50 yds are handy if you want to lob one at a rabbit or a yote. I have a Leupold VX II 2x7 that has xbow reticules for 20 through 60 yds and works on the same change the power, change the field of view principle as the V and L zones. Mine, like the other stated models is close to the lowest power, i.e. 2x for me and 2.5 x for the 'zones. I occasionaly use the 7x to test arrows, ect since the 20 yd main crosshair is not affected by degree of magnification.

Different strokes for different folks, lol. Have fun!