HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   What can I do??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/254456-what-can-i-do.html)

lswoody 07-25-2008 05:26 PM

What can I do???

Hey guys, shot my x-bow this afternoon and with field points it shot just about exactly where I put my red dot at 20 and 30 yds. But when I put my Muzzy broad head on it, itshot about 2"-3" to the right and 3" or so low. Now if this was a vertical bow I could adjust my rest and nocking point and a couple of other things but what can I do other than adjust my red dot scope on my Horton x-bow????? Thanks!!!!!

Scott Woody

ranger56528 07-25-2008 05:48 PM

RE: What can I do???

Go to a mechanical broadhead.....................Just a thought;)...

smokepolehall 07-25-2008 05:52 PM

depending on the B'head as to wether it flys to the mark of your field pts. some do some don't. make sure you shoot 2/3 of them not the same one. to see if they all hit the same place before having to adjust your red dot

GrumpyTom 07-28-2008 11:56 AM

ORIGINAL: smokepolehall

depending on the B'head as to wether it flys to the mark of your field pts. some do some don't. make sure you shoot 2/3 of them not the same one. to see if they all hit the same place before having to adjust your red dot
You will find out that with crossbows you usually do not need to tinker like you do with the vertical bows. Most find that the quality broad heads will hit where the field points do, but some broad heads will not (depends on the bow as well as the head, not model specific, but bow specific). It is just trial and error but here are a few suggestions.

If you are shooting more then one arrow and they hit the same point of impact, then it is just unlucks for you and that combo will not hit the same as field points .................. solution is to adjust the scope to the point of impact of your hunting heads.

If you are shooting different arrows & heads and are getting a different point of impact (even if slightly, greater distance then field tips) it could be the arrow/head alinement. Do a spin test to see if there is a wobble in the shaft at the head. You see, the center axis of your head needs to be on the same center axis of the arrow, if not, you can get wondering of the arrow in flight. ........................ solution is to straighten with an arrow stratener. Sometimes switching heads from one arrow to another can help. Older heads (well used) or the cheaper heads will have this problem.

With many crossbows, the larger cutting heads (1.5" or greater) have problems in windy conditions. They will have a tendicy to plain more in those conditions which is why many have switched to the mechanicals over fixed.

Hope this has helped you some.

cbmagnum 07-28-2008 01:19 PM

yea when i sighted in my x-bow field points were hitting withing 2 inches...and then i shot a sonic 125 gr and it hit right in the same spot the field points did, and so did slick tricks. When i put the muzzy 125gr in and shot it it went all over the place. so its all basically a trial and error thing you just have to try it. But like they said above me dont just shoot one arrow and depend on that. Shoot 3-5 and see where the main area is that they are hitting and then start adjusting :)

awshucks 07-28-2008 02:16 PM

:DAll the above is good advice. Even w/ Slick Tricks you have got to get the wobble out of them to get best results and same poi as fiels points.

saxman1 07-28-2008 02:51 PM

I had the same problem with muzzy's
I shoot G5 Montecs and get great accuracy and I'm sure there are many other BH's that do as well but the muzzy's went all over the place for me.

shewe 07-30-2008 10:42 PM

you did'nt mention if your bheads are all grouping in the same spot.....just not the same spot as your field points. if your bheads are grouping well....count your blessings and just adjust your scope for hunting.btw i hada tough time getting my muzzy's to shoot well from my xbow and wound up switching to slicks.good luck:).