Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 The point of field point >

The point of field point

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

The point of field point

Old 07-20-2008, 01:53 AM
Spike

Default The point of field point

What's the point of "field point"?

There are the simple conical target points, that are used for "serious" target shooting, so their at least as accurate as FP. And AFAIK, the TP are intended forreduced penetration which is good for practice sessions.

So what is the purpose of field point and their elaborate shape? What is the meaning of the "FIELD" part of the name?
Old 07-20-2008, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The point of field point

this will be all fabricated by me purpose field pt. was field/tournement archery. makers decided that the concave design let surrounding air flow instead of causing drag. oh yes money, if they think up another design they will for $
Old 07-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've been working all day on trying to remember the story I heard about that, many years ago. Well, at least I've been at it off and on all day. Had to slip in a nap, ya know.

Here's what comes to mind... NFAA field archery shooters in the bowhunter classes aren't allowed to use the conical nib target points. They had problems with the bullet nosed shaped points not cutting good holes in paper targets, or sliding a bit when they hit at an angle before they penetrated the target, so scoring the hits was a bit tough. The small, sharp point on field points poke the paper as soon as they hit, then that bump up to a full diameter shoulder cut a good, round and easy to score hole in the paper. So they are sorta archery's answer to the wadcutter bullet.

Now, keep in mind that I'm working from memory on that, and that's always a dangerous risk to take. [8D]
Old 07-20-2008, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats the way it was in the late sixties out in California,when I belonged
to the NFAA!The good old days,The Fresno Safari was my favorite shoot
of the year!
Old 07-20-2008, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

Arthurs explanation sounds accurate....if one thinks about "wad cutter" bullet for hand gun shooting. For the most part, they cut a fairly clean round hole in paper targets.

The field tip is designed much the same way as the wad cutter bullet, with the addition of the small diameter point rather than the flat tip of the wad cutter.

Mike