Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Single red dot VS peep and pins >

Single red dot VS peep and pins

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Single red dot VS peep and pins

Old 07-06-2008, 04:52 AM
Spike

Default Single red dot VS peep and pins

Hi all,

Currently I have a peep-and-pins sights on my CB. My only alternative is a red-dot with a single dot (believe me it IS my only option).

I like the compactness of the red-dot, the fast engagement and the clear view. However, I dont know how badly it effects accuracy. In any case, I cant have an accurate rangeing. Only a fast judgment "by eye". So the peep and pins arangement is not 100% accurate either.

Assuming the red dot is sighted at a would be optimum mid-range. How much worst would the red-dot be compared to peep and pins? What would be YOUR choise?
Old 07-06-2008, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Single red dot VS peep and pins

ORIGINAL: lyuv

Hi all,

Currently I have a peep-and-pins sights on my CB. My only alternative is a red-dot with a single dot (believe me it IS my only option).

I like the compactness of the red-dot, the fast engagement and the clear view. However, I dont know how badly it effects accuracy. In any case, I cant have an accurate rangeing. Only a fast judgment "by eye". So the peep and pins arangement is not 100% accurate either.

Assuming the red dot is sighted at a would be optimum mid-range. How much worst would the red-dot be compared to peep and pins? What would be YOUR choise?
What are you talking about? You can't use a rf? peep and pin not 100% accurate? I've found a peep and pin as accurate as a scope, just not as versatileat different ranges.......
I'm considering hunting w/ them this fall. some red dots allow parallax if you don't mount the stock the exact same every time. I'd sight either at 25 yds. You can also get a halographic sight like a red dot but parallax free. I have one of them also, got it off Ebay for $50 it's a NorthStar [chinese] No Bushnell or Zeiss but not $250 or $400 either.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:05 AM
Spike

Here is what I use on my crossbow. I love it.

http://www.yeoldearcheryshoppe.com/h...ot-p-2850.html
Old 07-06-2008, 08:31 AM

Try em all and then go with what you like. That'sthe bottom line. That's what I did and I use nothing but reflex non magnifying sights. Single dot use for 35 yards and closer it's The Zeiss Z-Point....expensive but worth every penny. Another good single dot holo sight is the Pride Fowler.Nothing else is even close to the Z-Point as to versatility, features and being bullet-proof. For 3 dot sights for shots out to 70+ yards, I use Ten Point and Stryker sights. quality is not Zeiss for sure but they are the only games in town for 3 dots that I would use. I tried a Truglo holo and it does not measure up. Sorry:-( I see no logical reason to use a heavybig bulky rifle type scope on an already heavy close range crossbow. If you do, have at it:-) JMO

Old 07-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

As far as smaller, single red dotsights go, I've been happy with these two.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-fastfire-w-picatinny-mount-4-moa-dot-mat-fastfire-sight.html#

http://www.opticsplanet.net/atn-corp-cmp-dusrs.html

And as has been said, the Stryker sight is nice but much larger.

As you'll see, the Optics Planet site has many to choose from.

Mike
Old 07-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

I still can't get past the thought of my whole hunt depends on a glowing light. Crosshairs don't go dim or fail to light up every time. I have great luck in things going wrong at the right moment and I can't see a red dot being any different for me.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:33 PM

Bird, have faith man! :-) I've never had a reflex sight failure......even with the Asian manufactured ones I use.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:02 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: awshucks
What are you talking about? You can't use a rf? peep and pin not 100% accurate? I've found a peep and pin as accurate as a scope, just not as versatileat different ranges.......
Peep and pin setting is perfectly accurate only in the shooting range, where you know the EXACT distance to the target, and the pin is sighted to THAT distance.

But in the field, the distance is (in my case) an educated guess work, and usualy some judicious hold over/under is required, because none of the pins is sighted there. Combine "guess" with "judicious", and the "perfect" is gone from the accuracy.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:14 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Bigg~BirddVA

I still can't get past the thought of my whole hunt depends on a glowing light. Crosshairs don't go dim or fail to light up every time. I have great luck in things going wrong at the right moment and I can't see a red dot being any different for me.
For several years now we (in Israel) use red dots on our army guns. If we trust our lives DAILY on this technology, I think it's dependable enough for a hobby.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Moonkryket

Bird, have faith man! :-) I've never had a reflex sight failure......even with the Asian manufactured ones I use.
You don't have my luck. I could never be a tester for any product. I seem to always get the one that has issues.

Quick Reply: Single red dot VS peep and pins

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.