Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Reccomendations for broadheads >

Reccomendations for broadheads

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Reccomendations for broadheads

Old 07-07-2008, 05:50 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

Default RE: Reccomendations for broadheads

broadheads with a smaller dia and lower profile seems to be the best in short crossbow arrows and although you'll get a pretty extensive list of different recomendationsthe most popular ones you'll hear aboutusually fall into that catagory, I'm going to give spitfires a shot this year, 125gr in my carbons, but I have back-up 2213's with 85gr thunderheads that shoot just as good, my choice in broadhead weight is entirely dependant on what I'm running for insert weightto get the FOC I'm looking for

I had(and still do) slick tricks and NAP nitrons on my list of broadheads to try, both small dia, low profile heads, and I've heard great things about both, however, from what I hear I dont expect any one of them(spitfires, slick trick, or any of the other popular heads) to be any more accurate that the next, its just personal preference in what you want to use...
Old 07-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

the most points i see at range is NAP 125 .
but slicktrick 100 gr ones are closing in.

this is fixed ones.

non fix, spitfires,rocket,rage seem to be most.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:19 AM

The best 2 broadheads on the market today are Slick Tricks, and Sonics. Case closed
Old 07-18-2008, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well ,I guess there's a lot of good broadheads out there and some that are manufactured so poorly that no one can get them to fly strait, there are other things that are involved that should be mentioned because you are starting and might not know them.
First and for most field points will fly well even if they are a little off strait, broadheads wont, you will need to spin or put them on V blocks and make sure the point stays in line with the center of the shaft when they are turning.
You would be smart to shoot every arrow and make sure that it flies to the mark, its a good idea to use some sort of a bench rest, then sharpen or new blades to be ready for hunting. I used to have a archery andmuzzle loading shop and some of the things thatcome from normally excellent companies are amazing. Lee
Old 07-18-2008, 08:53 AM

titleAndStar(11,0,false,false,"","")
Fawn

[align=center][/align]

"The best 2 broadheads on the market today are Slick Tricks, and Sonics. Case closed"

Strong statement! Might be for you. All of them will kill a deer but it boils down to opinions and I value mine more than yours :-) I like NAP Spitfires. Virtuallysame hole accuracy at 70 yards with field pointsout of my Desert Stryker. Can't do that with any fixed blade head.............at least I can't. Problem solved with NAP's :-)
Old 07-18-2008, 10:35 AM

Ah i dont believe any mechanical broadhead will ever outshoot a sonic. Ive never had any success with them. But hey if you like them then all power to ya. I guess it depends on the bow too. What is the specs on your bow? 175 or 150
Old 07-18-2008, 11:26 AM

Which one?

Old 07-18-2008, 11:30 AM

That deer you see in between the crossbows on the right and below and quite a few others were all taken with NAP expandable heads and Blazer Vanes. I agree withh your thoughts on sticking with what works. I do :-)

Old 07-18-2008, 12:33 PM

Well its not so much i dont think that the mechanicals dont work, i just have heard of people having them not open on impact, or they open halfway, and they dont fly straight. but i have never tried the NAP so i might just have to try it on a coon in the backyard or a yote.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cbmagnum

Well its not so much i dont think that the mechanicals dont work, i just have heard of people having them not open on impact, or they open halfway, and they dont fly straight. but i have never tried the NAP so i might just have to try it on a coon in the backyard or a yote.
i used BEAR points for years and never lost buck.

but the did not fly same spot as field points.
also used ZEWICKY points,same thing.

my SPITFIRES 100 grain fly same hole as my field insert for them.

in fact, i never shoot my hunting blades at all in practice.

no need too.

if you take a broadside shot,rest assured that a SPITFIRE will do job on buck.
i left MANY bucks walk over years because i could not get a broadside shot.

problems start on mechinicals if you dont do that.

i watch hunting programs all time.

i see them at times shoot a buck at angle with mechinical heads.

they always get buck BUT thats a show too and who knows what happens after the camera goes off.

angle shots is where the FIXED HEAD shines.

sooooooooooooooooooo,if i was smart,i would use fix point heads and not lose as many bucks over years do to angle shot that i leave go.

but, i like the way the mechinicals fly,so its what i use,once in awhile i get turkey too.