Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Bowtech ... do all their reps feel this way? >

Bowtech ... do all their reps feel this way?

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Bowtech ... do all their reps feel this way?

Old 07-05-2008, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bowtech ... do all their reps feel this way?

I know my opinion isn't worth a xxxx here because I don't hunt, but here goes anyway.

I noted in another post about stopping by my local bow shop the other day in another thread. The owner hunts with both compound vert. bows and with rifles. He's not a crossbow guy, but he does have two on the wall for sale. He's not for or against crossbows. It's just not his bailiwick...either way.

Ok...as I was walking out I asked him about the laws in CA.
He noted that crossbows are legal during rifle season only!
Why....(note this reasoning in other parts of this thread!!), "because of the fact that the bow string is mechanically held in place on a crossbow...not held by hand (yes...there is a "trigger" used with most compound bows!, but as Matt says...)!"
While I "am"taking his word for this...he has no reason to make anything up!

So....while I do think Matt might have done his rant a little different....by at least one state law...his "rant" has merrit...

I also don't see what everyone's so freaken "up" about...! Hunter or not, Matts rant should not (would not me!) discourage any possible new (or old!) buyer from buying a crossbow!?
Sorry...just don't see it.
I also don't see the negitiveness about....or...doing Bowtech any diservice...!

All you guys are talken about is a different time of year to hunt.............!

While I respect most all of the regular posters here (and the other two or so boards!)for you opinions...to me...this sounds a lot like my two younger brothers fighting at about 10 years old.

Ok...that's my "rant".

Mike

Old 07-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Matt
I hold no gruge towards you being how Iam on alot of the other forums but when one makes a personal opinion as such it is not very level headed when your a rep for a company the is trying to break the ice into CB world...I beleave that anything with limbs and a string tied between the two tips is a bow plain and simple and they all belong in the archery season.I do not fully understand how good or bad PA is but if you want to make it better you need to back up all forms of archery as one compleat deal,do not voice one as is and one as is not that will only cause more dislike for archery as a hole........Maybe PA should ban any type of trigger use with any 4 types of bow and then you and everyone else can just go for a TRAD only state....
Archery season in PA.....
No Archer shall used any bow that has wheels or use's a trigger to draw and or release string.
No bow shall have more then one string to draw,hold and release arrow.

If PA did this you all wouldbe happy due to the fact that not everyone can shoot a longbow or recurve bow,then you can just fill the woods with more rifle and BP people......and then the lawsuits would flood in from people yelling discrimination and thenyou would be worst off then you would of been by just promoting a allarchery season consisting of all types of bows......
When Mn added CB's to the rifle season people did not go out and by CB's like crazzy and the effect was about zero.....If MN addsCB's to the whole archery season witch I beleave they will it still wont make a impact on the archery season for the so called anti CB people,more then likely they wont even notice.......

Untill a person has fully tried hunting with all four bows in all types of weather and terrain such as woods,hills heavy brush,rain,snow,mud,sand they will never fully understand the good side and bad side all bows have,witch they do......

The best thing to do is promote archery as a hole.......My final answer.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:57 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

man, it just seems kind of silly to me that such a silly thing like this can turn into such a never ending childish debate...

I also cant understand why some people have such a hard time with crossbows being classified as a bow...

archery-
[ol][*]The art, sport, or skill of shooting with a bow and arrow.[/ol]

theencyclopedia's descriptionof archery(and bows), straight from Wikipedia-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archery

I'll highlight the point of interest in there...

Equipment

Types of bows

Main article: Bow (weapon)[/align]
A longbow is a type of bow that is tall (roughly equal to or greater than the height of the user), is not significantly recurved, and has relatively narrow limbs that are D-shaped in cross section. The traditional English longbow is usually made so that its thickness is at least ⅝ of its width. If the thickness is less than ⅝ of its width then the bow would be disqualified from most modern longbow competitions. Typically a longbow is widest at the handle. Longbows have been used for hunting and warfare, by many cultures around the world, a famous example being the English longbow, during the Middle Ages.
A Flatbow is a bow with non-recurved, flat, relatively wide limbs that are approximately rectangular in cross-section. Most modern flatbows are otherwise similar to the classic longbow.
A shortbow is a bow that does not allow the user to draw the string to the face or body. It is quicker to shoot, more manoeuvrable, easier to conceal, and requires less work and material. It can be drawn less far, therefore stores less energy and hence has a shorter maximum range and is slower. Short bows were used for hunting by, among others, many tribes of the North American West Coast (often with a flat or lenticular cross-section) and by South African Bushmen (often with a rounded cross-section similar to the classic longbow). Such bows are still in use in Africa for hunting, for self-defence, and in inter-ethnic clashes.[21]
A recurve bow is the only class of bow that is shot at the Olympic Games. Its basic working principles are similar to that of a traditional longbow. Its defining feature is that the ends of the limbs curve forwards, which increases the power gained from the bow and smoothens the draw. Composite bows are recurved in form.
A compound bow is designed to reduce the force that an archer must hold, yet increase the overall energy stored by the bow. Most compound designs use cams or elliptical wheels on the ends of the limbs to optimize the leverage exerted by the archer and to reduce the holding force of the bow at full draw in what is known as the "let-off". With less force required to hold a compound bow at full draw, the muscles take longer to fatigue, thus giving a compound archer more time to aim. A compound bow must be adjusted so that the let-off occurs at the correct draw length appropriate to the archer.
A crossbow is a variation on the general bow design. Instead of the limbs being held vertically, they are mounted horizontally on a stock much like that of a firearm. The limb design can either be compound or a recurve but the basic concept of shooting is the same. The string is pulled back either manually or with a windlass and locked into place. The string remains in this locked position, held solely through mechanical means until the energy stored in its limbs is released by a trigger mechanism, which launches the loaded arrow. The energy stored in the shortened limbs is comparable to the longbow but packed into a smaller design that is also much easier to aim. Crossbows shoot quarrels or bolts, which are shorter arrows than those usual for bows.

crossbows have limbs, a string and shoot arrows, I just cant see how they COULDNT be classified as a bow... it uses a trigger to fire? big deal, so does every release aid out there... which leaves the one and only difference, the string isnt held back by the archer... I cant belive that that one difference alone can cause such a childish debate or why its such a problem to allow the use of a crossbow during archery season...

to tell you the truth I see no real great advantage for a crossbow over a vertical bow for hunting anyways, their ackward, heavy, hard to carry and need alot of room in a stand to maneuver... they're just a differently designed bow, but a bow non the less, and some people(like myself) just like them and like to hunt with them...

and thats as far as my opinion on this is going to go...

I have better things to do...
Old 07-06-2008, 02:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Crossbows have a season where they are legal weapons right now. 2 weeks to chase deer all you want.
How generous! Same rant, different ranter, different day. While you are entitled to your opinions, I'm not commenting on them re: your repping Bowtech, don't have a dog in that one. Your whole objection can be summed up by yet another version of the "Boogey Man" is coming. Pa now has 20,000- 40,000 disabled using them, depending on whose figures you believe, and open use in the SRA's. You will see them legal for all soon. Much ado about nothing. Just like every where else that has allowed them.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:40 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Boys, if a mentally disabled boy starts making faces at you do you get mad at him? There's not much difference here so let it go! Yeah, yeah, yeah, this is not like me but I've heard this "hunter" or "archer" spew his rhetoric before and it's all mindless, selfish, ignorant, uniformed, elitist garbage so again boys ignore as you would a retarded child spewing unintelligible words at the sky's.
This is what has got their goats! Their "world" is ending! Their "rule" is coming to an end and they are acting like stubborn children that had their toys removed from them for being bad. This is what has precipitated their rant!
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2879313&mpage=1&key=&#287988 2
Sounds they don't like what the rest of the world has agreed on so they are stamping their feet!
Now if you'll excuse me I just finished making a Flemish string for my Red Wing Hunter and I have some adjustments to make. I am also going to check out how my Y25 shoots 350 gr arrows! I brought up three recurves and one crossbow so I am going to get busy sharpening up to hunt with both bows in our archery season in Ontario.
Ignore them, they'll go away and come back when they mature. Then they'll sing another tune.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:08 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

David, I don't think you need to send the letter. People like that always shoot themselves in the foot eventually. Let evolution takes it's intended path. He'll get himself fired for this or some other reason. Of course if you truly think this sort of thing may affect your crossbow sales then you must do what you have to do. Just don't do it because you are pi$$ed about the attitude and what was said. If he truly is a Bow Tech rep and he really has the balls to spout off at the mouth like that face to face with hunters with crossbows, he'll get his own a$$ fired by himself, you don't need to help. I think he's quite capable of getting himself fired. If he really is a rep then I hope for his family's sake he comes to his senses but it sounds more like he's gone postal!
Back to work!