Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Buying a Phoenix with a couple of questions >

Buying a Phoenix with a couple of questions

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Buying a Phoenix with a couple of questions

Old 06-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Buying a Phoenix with a couple of questions

kry226 if your worried about a used Excalibur product, I would not worry about it. Just make sure that the limbs are in good shape (no cracks) or the bow has no signs of misuse. The reurve model of rossbows are usually very dependable and carefree. If this used bow has been looked after, then I believe that you ould not go wrong with it for a bow (espically if $ is a concern). An Excalibur bow, if looked after, will last for almost ever, mine is 24 years in use.

IF you want all the stuff, then go for the new package, but ususally your old heads will work just fine with the crossbow, so you will probually not need new heads. The scopes are both good. I personally do not think you need the lighted reticals, unless your hunting dark haired animals (bear, moose ect.) but the lumi-zone does give you a wider field of view (if my memory is correct).

My suggestion for you is to make a list of what you will want for accessories and try to make a package deal for what you will need on top of just the basic bow (this will be what you want, not what they want to sell you). .............. not a slam on Wyvern, just a general statement about the comon retailer. After you do this, then you will be better able to figure out what is better for you.

But again, I personally would not hesitate in purchasing a used Excalibur product is it is in good shape and reasonably priced (if I could afford another bow ).
Old 06-29-2008, 04:36 PM

Thanks, Grumpy Tom. I am still in that process of figuring out how or what to accessorize with. I am one of those guys who usually goes "all the way" when I do something. But, I just don't know yet. I have put to bed any questions I had about buying a used bow, but a new package deal may be better for me in the long run. I also tend to be one of those guys who research stuff A LOT before I buy. Heck, it took me a year and a half of research to buy my last pick-up truck.

Kyle
Old 06-29-2008, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

yr and 1/2 to buy a p/u,took me 5 min and then a 1/2 hour to do the paperwork ......
Old 06-30-2008, 05:30 AM

I was getting into diesel pick-ups which is no small investment and on average, a $6,000 option. There were a lot of emissions restrictions on the horizon and I wanted to ensure I made the wisest choices that wouldn't come back to haunt me. In the time I was researching, I also found a dealer who gave me $8,000 off the sticker price. Cost me a one-way plane ticket and I drove it home that day. Of course, diesel was about 50 cents cheaper per gallon than unleaded was at the time too.

I think I just hijacked my own thread.

Anyway, you get the idea about how methodical I am sometimes. And no, I am not going to put that much energy into buying a crossbow, but I do still want to make the best purchase I can.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: kry226

Anyway, you get the idea about how methodical I am sometimes. And no, I am not going to put that much energy into buying a crossbow, but I do still want to make the best purchase I can.
FYI If you do not need an xcal now wait till after hunting season,(X-mas week)you will find an xcal phoenix with right stuff packagemost likelya soft case or extra arrows/BH for around $500.00(used). That phoenix will have about 20 shots thru it withno problems.I saw several on ebay last year for that price. Quite a few people buy them in the spring/summer sight in and shoot a couple of times at game, realize thatthey are not that much superior to a vertical bow andsell them.Last yearI paid for a NIB phoenix and right stuff package for $550.00. Good luck in your quest.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, LIAF. I'll keep that in mind.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:45 PM

I am pumped now! I did my research and just couldn't make the numbers work to my advantage with what I was looking for, so I called up Wyvern and purchased his Phoenix Lumizone package deal. Hopefully the bow will be here this week, just in time to get set up and practiced before the Georgia bow season opens in September. Hopefully, my target will survive.

Thanks again to all who chimed in with help and suggestions. My wallet is now lighter because of you.

Shoot safe boys.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kry226

I am pumped now! I did my research and just couldn't make the numbers work to my advantage with what I was looking for, so I called up Wyvern and purchased his Phoenix Lumizone package deal. Hopefully the bow will be here this week, just in time to get set up and practiced before the Georgia bow season opens in September. Hopefully, my target will survive.

Thanks again to all who chimed in with help and suggestions. My wallet is now lighter because of you.

Shoot safe boys.
Good for you! Wyvern is a great guy. Thanks for letting us know the route you took, not many people come back later, lol. Be sure and let us know how it works out for you and lets see some pis of them "GawGa" deer!!
Old 07-28-2008, 02:49 PM

Can't guarantee any o' them GawGa critters, but I can dagblamed sure get some pics of the bow up when it arrives. (Not that you've never seen a Phoenix before...)
Old 08-04-2008, 06:33 AM

No pics yet, but I have to say I am very impressed with the Phoenix. I put it together, sighted it in (which only took four orfive shots as it was only 2" right of center at 20 yards at the first shot), then shot it at 30, 40 and 50 yards. If I did my part, the arrow went exactly where I wanted it to. Heck, I gave my wife a quick class on reading the Lumizone reticle and operation of the bow, and her first ever shot with a crossbow nailed the bulls-eye at 50 yards!

If I had some improves to mention, I would say that the instructions (manual and DVD), in my opinion, are not written for a beginner crossbower. Some terminology is lost on a newbie. This is not necessarily bad, but something to be aware of.

The trigger: while it is a fine trigger, there is a bit of creep to it. No complaints, just takes some getting used to and will work out fine.

The package from Wyvern really is a one-stop turn-key operation. I ordered on Monday, shipped Tuesday, delivered Friday, and was shooting bulls-eyes on Saturday with no other parts or accessories needed. David even promptly answered my email I sent on Saturday morning too. Hard to complain about that.

Now I need to try to find a better target as this old Black Hole I have just ain't stopping these 300 fps arrows. Wrinkled a set of vanes already.

The next five or six weeks until the deer season opens up is going to kill me...