Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Buying a Phoenix with a couple of questions >

Buying a Phoenix with a couple of questions

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Buying a Phoenix with a couple of questions

Old 06-28-2008, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buying a Phoenix with a couple of questions

I know of a used Phoenix (unknown year) for $400 with Vari-zone Multiplex Scope, Quiver, 10 Bolts, Cocking Aid Rope, Destringer, Cordura Soft Case, and Rail Wax/Lube.
Sorry guys, my vote goes for the used deal. W/ the manner in which Danny Miller takes care of Excal "problems", there really ain't no such thing as a "used" Excal. If a lttle haggling lowers the $400, all the better.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, Wyvern Crossbow sells good pkg. deals also with all of his gear/CB's and so on. He is honest does test and gives reviews. let memake that clear to all!

maybe i didn't write my post very well. i can't be in your head and read it as y'all do, sorry. i do try to help, seems i don't get my pt. across well and ppl become offended. done that all my life, doubt it will ever stop unless i up and kick the bucket today![][:-]
Old 06-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: smokepolehall

Ok, Wyvern Crossbow sells good pkg. deals also with all of his gear/CB's and so on. He is honest does test and gives reviews. let memake that clear to all!

maybe i didn't write my post very well. i can't be in your head and read it as y'all do, sorry. i do try to help, seems i don't get my pt. across well and ppl become offended. done that all my life, doubt it will ever stop unless i up and kick the bucket today![][:-]
I wouldn't worry about it, Smoke, Wyvern is well known and well liked for calling them as he see's em. I had two small orders filled by him this year and got treated like they were million dollar deals to him. Had a few phone conversations w/ him, and am sure customer satisfaction is as important if not more so than his bottom line. Can't get that from a big box store. He's got the needed thick skin to be in this business to boot, and opininated old f*rts like me and you ain't gonna make a dent in it, lol.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Hehehehe Mike, don't worry I doubt David is offended, like Dan said, to hurt his feelings first you gotta find them and they were beaten till numb by guys like us! LOL!
Dan, when you do the math what do you come up with comparing the used with the new. In the tiny space called my mind, I don't see any difference???? What about difference between the limb forward bow compared to the "possible" flat limbs? I think you might as well buy a Vixen if you buy a old flat limbed Phoenix.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dnk

Hehehehe Mike, don't worry I doubt David is offended, like Dan said, to hurt his feelings first you gotta find them and they were beaten till numb by guys like us! LOL!
Dan, when you do the math what do you come up with comparing the used with the new. In the tiny space called my mind, I don't see any difference???? What about difference between the limb forward bow compared to the "possible" flat limbs? I think you might as well buy a Vixen if you buy a old flat limbed Phoenix.
Well, Don, 1st off, I'm assuming it's [used]a current model Phoenix. If not, no biggie, it will take a FFF and be real close to a new Phoenix w/ dacron string. 2nd, I'm not going to comment on Wyverns package deal, other than to say it's a fair one, but has alot of stuff a new guy may not want or need. The difference in price between a V-zone and a L-zone is about $20 here if you shop around. Like most "Net" used deals the $400 may be negotiable, if not there are tons of used Excals around. Actually, my main reason for commenting on this thread was the guys concern w/ getting a used Excal.

Now, I'm gonna ramble a bit further on something I know very little about, but get the gist of it. Excal being made in Canada doesn't pay american Federal Excise Tax, [last I knew] while I think most American mfgrs do. This is a problem for honest dealers like Wyvern and others, they have to eat the FET. I don't know about the box stores, if they pay the FET or just ignore it, nor what their wholesale price is, all things that affect those low Internet prices. Actually, as a consumer it's not my affair. I'm fairly sure from talking to some industry people, Excals are not big money makers for honest smaller dealers in USA, they sell them more as an accomodation to customers, there's more profit in American made xbows.

In the case in this thread, the guy could drop $400 or less, compared to $780 and only be short a set of bheads to go hunting. If he's looking to go full boat, then the package deal may be the better one.

And to furthur complicate things, I just talked to a guy who got a new Y25 off a store on Ebay for $639 plus shipping, at least that's what he claims.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Re:Y25, If it was a new bow then that is below dealer cost!
David and Danny explained the FET tax and it has to be paid sooner or later. Wonder if it's a surpise to the purchaser or the seller? LOL! Are you sure about the FET on the Canadian bow?
Old 06-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure of anything in the "second half" of my life, lol, but this was discussed in depth on AT awhile back and I read alot on it. There was a bozo on Ebay quite awhile ago selling Excals way low, Excal was looking to find out who it was. From what I recall from the AT discussion, the American mfgrs have either already addressed the FET issue or allowed for it somehow, but the foreign mfgrs don't. I'm sure Wyvern will explain it all sooner or later here. I'm glad I just shoot them rather than sell them, lol.

Kry226: Sorry we hijacked your thread, hope you are happy w/ what ever choice you make, it's really your decision, don't mind us, lol. Btw, don't recognize your screen name, so if you're new here, welcome!!
Old 06-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

WOW...I stay off the computer for a day and look what happens!!!

Smoke: I did not take any offense, but I think I may have come across a tad sharp...sorry. I did load up that particular package with everything but the deer, but it actually saves quite a bit of money over buying it all seperate. I do agree, that that pile is not for everyone, but I like to think it is a nice option for someone looking for a one part number pile. My skin is a tad thick...gotta be in retail, so no sweat on my side

Everyone else that chimed in on me...Thanks for both the business and the kudos

FET...Yep, that is a big one and I will see if I can do a thread on that off of this one that may explain some of this...

"Re:Y25, If it was a new bow then that is below dealer cost!"
In conversations with Excal, there is several issues with direct dealers confusing "retail" with "wholesale". There are a few (and yes, Excal is aware of this and is trying to do something about it) that blur that line and sell retail at a wholesale level and screw up the line for everyone else. There are also a few who are going to be very upset when the IRS catches up wiht them for not realizing that they need to collect the FET. I know of a few shops that have closed because they did not collect FET. This aspect of the industry (especially with Excal) is very messy...

Wyvern

Old 06-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Hey David, was the Phoenix ever made in a non-limb forward configuration?
Old 06-28-2008, 06:53 PM

ORIGINAL: awshucks

Kry226: Sorry we hijacked your thread, hope you are happy w/ what ever choice you make, it's really your decision, don't mind us, lol. Btw, don't recognize your screen name, so if you're new here, welcome!!
Please, hijack away and thanks for the welcome. I'm not new, but I'm the learning sort. I guess that's why I've been a member since 02 or 03 (I think the forum crashed since then) and only have 130 posts. (I think I lost some posts in the crash). It's kind of like the two ears and one mouth thing. I am too busy reading and learning to post a lot of times. It probably keeps me out of trouble too.

You guys keep talking, and I'll keep reading. And thanks for all of the suggestions, insights and info.

Kyle

Quick Reply: Buying a Phoenix with a couple of questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.