HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Newbie needs info about restringing compound crossbow (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/250453-newbie-needs-info-about-restringing-compound-crossbow.html)

rajstuff109 06-25-2008 05:30 AM

Newbie needs info about restringing compound crossbow

I have ordered a Barnett Quad AVI (still not arrived yet).

I am really confused about the restringing process.

How doI know when I need to restring?

On the Barnett Webstie FAQ, it mentions you need a bow clampto replace the string.

What is a bow clamp?

How much do they cost (cheaper the better)?

Is there any physical strength or DIY skills required?

Many thanks.

Rajstuff

awshucks 06-25-2008 07:04 AM

RE: Newbie needs info about restringing compound crossbow

You will probably need to reserve the string more so than replace it. I think by "bow clamp" they mean a bow press. They are costly. You will probably have to find a bow shop to press it. I don't know for sure as I shoot a recurve which allows me to do all of that in minutes either in my shop or in the field. Some compound xbows have solid limbs vs split like your new bow and there is a gizmo that once you cock the bow you put in the spaces behind the wheels, then uncock the bow and the gizmo holds the limbs bent enough for you to change strings or reserve the one on the bow.

rajstuff109 06-25-2008 07:07 AM

What does reserve mean?

awshucks 06-25-2008 07:20 AM

:DTo replace the center "serving" which takes up wear and protects the string. you have a pm. Serving is a series of wraps around a string.

Mike Van Veghten 06-25-2008 12:06 PM

The serving is the string (normally finer than the main string that wraps around the main string at all points that wear or stress will be sothe main stringis tightly wound together.
Such as the ends of the strings and cables (if any) and the part of the string that goes over the track.

As another said, most any bow shop will most likely be able to help you with removing, re-serving and or replacing any string problems.
There is also smaller "cheaper" hand "presses" that can be bought to help with the work. You'll just need to find them and verify it'll work for you.

One thing to think about...call Barnett and order a second string now, that way you won't have any down time if you can't have your current string reserved "while you wait". Just put the new one on and call me when the re-serving is complete!

This is a normal part of crossbow wear.
That's one reason I like the Darton bows...the string/serving has very little pressure on the track, the string and serving lasts for ever it seems !
As does it seems, the new Horton Recon. Also light string pressure on the track.

Hope that helps some.

Mike

sproulman 07-17-2008 10:09 PM

our local shop will talk you out of reserving string,they will just put new one on.

they said time it takes them to do it would costs as much as string.

like said, buy a new string,time comes, have them stick it on and if you know someone ,they can restring old one but i casnt find anyone here in my area that does it, they just put a new string on.