HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Need for Speed (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/250243-need-speed.html)

smokepolehall 06-23-2008 10:26 AM

Need for Speed

no use to mince words you get just what you buy& pay for. those that buy a CB because it suppose to shoot say 340 fps. the cost $350 ! so you have this latest CB and it has issues that have been told over and over. my pt. is ppl rather pay that for a poorly made CB than buy a quality CB thats 50/60 fps slower and has a running track record for 25 years. why is it the speed CB comes with a 1 year warranty and serial # vs. one thats has no serial # as if something does break 1 month or 5 years from now it will be repaired, no problem. i invest with a great company not a certain flamethrower CB! i really don't give a rats arse what you buy, i do care about having to read about your woes in a few months. so if you buy it and it tears up we don't want to hear about it! complain to the CB company your CB was built by.[:o]

Arthur P 06-23-2008 11:32 AM

RE: Need for Speed

Okay, we can get through this. Close your eyes, lean your head back. Take a deep breath through your nose and slowly blow the breath out through your mouth. Again, think about blowing all that frustration and tension out with the air. Again. And once more... Now. Don't ya feel better?[8D]

GrumpyTom 06-23-2008 11:51 AM

Hey Smoke:

You know that I am all about SPEED, well with the bow which I have. Lets see ................ Speed is of which is fast enough to kill a moose with the weighted arrow that I use. Over 25 years ago they claimed that the 150lb model bows (excalibur, astro-daco) were well more then enough power to take down moose so I went with the fastest bow on the market (Excalibur Relayer). I still use it today (as you know as you saw and handled it yourself).

Speed is nice but dependability to me is more important. 25 years with only needing to replace 1 bolt (and repaired it in the field, did not hinder my hunting trip) to me speaks major volumes as o the dependability. I also feel that any more speed or KE only means that you will need to look further for your arrow after the pass through. Also the heavier poundage bows require you to put more energy into the bow (more physical strength needed) which makes it more of a task to shoot then with the lesser poundage models.

BTW ........ the record crossbow moose in Ontario is or was taken with an 150 pound bow.

smokepolehall 06-23-2008 12:41 PM

if i had the money and my mrs would allow me. the next CB i would for real buy would be a nice clean wolverine 150 lb.:)what good is all that speed if your CB stays broken or accuracy is the pits. its your money buy what you like. i don't know why so many ppl are down on well made recurves that are dependable.;)

Mike Van Veghten 06-23-2008 12:43 PM

Ummm...speed goood...give me more speed!

Or ...where's that Harley powered crossbow!

Or...I can't hit anything with this slow crossbow!

Or...the bear got to me before the the arrow got to him!

Me...allI ask for, is for the item I buy... to produce what the manufacuter says it'll produce and do what they say it'll do.

Mike

ranger56528 06-23-2008 05:18 PM

Iam with Arthur...Breath in......Breath out.......in......out........What got your goat on the speed deal.[:o].....In my book speed only helps with bad yardage guessingbut only by a few yrds give or take...
Iam happy with my bows right were they are at,dont need more speed just more deer....;)...

Dnk 06-23-2008 06:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Okay, we can get through this. Close your eyes, lean your head back. Take a deep breath through your nose and slowly blow the breath out through your mouth. Again, think about blowing all that frustration and tension out with the air. Again. And once more... Now. Don't ya feel better?[8D]
Hehehehe, well said Arthur!
Nothing wrong with speed as long as it's used with good judgment and conscience. Also, a bow's ability to spit out an arrow at high speed can be exploited to shoot a heavier one at a lower speed giving more momentum. For me I like to remember what Bill T said, it's not how fast it is, it's how long its fast.
Jason also said it right, high speed is often used as a cutch for those who have trouble with distance estimation but it is also used by those less ethical. Nothing like getting up close and personal to your quarry as opposed to trying to whack a deer like it was a gopher. The former is much more gratifying in my books!

smokepolehall 06-23-2008 06:44 PM

well my pt, is that a person doesn't have to have the fastest CB. that is pushed for more than needs to be, speed sells CB's. i say if you practice alot and learn yardage a well made slower dependable CB is of more value. doesn't matter if its a recurve or compound, your choice. i hate to see ppl buy a product and get taken. i guess its really none of my business. just venting[:o]

ranger56528 06-23-2008 08:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Dnk

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Hehehehe, well said Arthur!
Nothing wrong with speed as long as it's used with good judgment and conscience. Also, a bow's ability to spit out an arrow at high speed can be exploited to shoot a heavier one at a lower speed giving more momentum. For me I like to remember what Bill T said, it's not how fast it is, it's how long its fast.
Jason also said it right, high speed is often used as a cutch for those who have trouble with distance estimation but it is also used by those less ethical. Nothing like getting up close and personal to your quarry as opposed to trying to whack a deer like it was a gopher. The former is much more gratifying in my books!
:eek:
:eek:
[X(]
:eek: ;):D

907Alaska 06-24-2008 12:23 AM

I went with Excal strickly for dependability, and customer service...