Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

GPSr users

Old 07-05-2008, 01:29 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

Default RE: GPSr users

ORIGINAL: ranger56528

CODE = Read the destrucktions 1st then try to use it..........

LOL, thats about the way I look at it too

I read and try to figure out all the various map making tutorials and by the time I get to the end and think I have it understood I realise I've forgotten what was said way back in the beginning... I think I need to learn to be more computer literate first, before I learn to make things as complicated as custom maps...

makes my head hurt...
Old 07-05-2008, 02:03 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Bigg~BirddVA

I'm guessing the guy selling was an employee or friend and leaked the info. But they crack all kinds of encryption codes so who knows? Most people would be shocked at how vulnerable computer codes and such really are. Virtually everything out there is being hacked or copied. All devices, all software. From satellite to cell phones to cable boxes to game systems it's all been dissected and worked on. Nothing is 100% safe. Think about that next time you key in your PIN number in your ATM. One day they'll hit that too.

that wouldnt surprise me a bit, I imaginewith the programers that are envolved with putting together garmin's mapping software that theres more than one willing to sell out some "backdoor" information, but like you say theres also people out there with the ability to hack into itall on their own, or basically anything else for that matter... it is pretty scarey when you stop and think about it...

Several guys in a group effort did it - or so the story goes. It's also got instructions on how to go into the registry and obtain the codes for yet to be created map sets so you can unlock them as well. I read about it on another site. Before this there was a guy selling unlock codes for $40 or something like that. I never contacted or messed with it but for a test you could give him your serial number and he would send you a timed unlock code to show he could actually do it. I guess it gets the time from the sats so no way to back date it.

never heard of the timed unlock codes either(that I can remember reading about anyway), but then the only gps site I really go to isgeocache.com, pirating gamins software like thatwould be kind of risky I'd think, but then I have no idea what would be involved with creating something like that so maybe the chances of getting tracked down is small... but hell,I'd have paid$40 for an unlock code...

The quest for a Garmin hack has has been ongoing for years. Back when you got 2 unlock codes people were splitting costs for a map. The software you bought was called City Select. It contained a license for 2 codes. Garmin being the money grabbers they are found out people were sharing. No problem, just stop updating City Select and create a new and different map program, City Navigator, with 1 key per license. City Select in reality just changed names - nothing else but license details changed. Nothing you could do as they just stopped giving updates. They nulled your license deal that you thought you had when you bought your GPS that would give you reasonably priced updates. Got to love big corporations huh?

yeah, I've never used it but the word is garmins customer service is really good, but I dont really have a whole lot of respect fortheir marketing strategies, I can understand that they want to make money but they get enough for the receivers,then theyrip you(to a point anyway)on what you unknowingly needed extrawhen you bought the gpsr, the mapping software... I've heard countless rants by new gpsr buyers(I'm sure you have too)that were ticked off to no end by the fact that after they spent upwards of $300 on a gpsr that they now have to drop another couple hundred for the maps, or be stuck with the usless base map it comes with, and garmin doesnt really point that fact outuntil the units already bought...
so, if someones hacking their codes, or pirating their software I say more power to them, thats just my own opinion though...
Old 07-05-2008, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got my Vista Hcx with 08 topo for 312.00 total,I thought that was a good deal,my maridian gold with topo ran me about 520.00 7 yrs ago....
Old 07-05-2008, 09:56 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

I like my hcx too, I bought one not long after they came out and I think I paid something like $230-$240 plus shipping for it just for the reciever itself
I bought it mainly with hunting use in mind but I actually use it all the time, I have a mount made up for my motorcycle and have it on there pretty much constantly, my son used it alot lastyear during gun/deer season so I decided to pick one up for him to use and also for the kids to use for when we go "geo box hunting" so my hcx doesnt get so beat up and found summit hc's on sale awhile back for $144 w/free shipping so I picked one up, thats a nice unit too, more than enough for "off road" use where the auto routing and other features of the hcx's arent needed

I also found venture hc's(basically a summit hc without the compass/altimeter)on sale for $114 w/free shipping and I'm seriously thinking of picking one of those up too, that way bothmy kids(and everyone elses...)can have one to use and I dont have to listen to them fight over that...
Old 07-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the maridian in the veh due to the larger screenbut need to download citymap again but my computor wont reconize the usb cord so now Iam up a creek.....that is why I bought the Hcx,I like the idea of a preloaded micro chip that just plugs in,plus its smaller and packs better in the woods...