Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Pure trigger pull/ Follow Through >

Pure trigger pull/ Follow Through

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Pure trigger pull/ Follow Through

Old 06-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pure trigger pull/ Follow Through

Hello all, I wanted to get everyone's opinions on how a pure trigger pull and follow through effects your accuracy. I got into a semi-argument with a fella who said that a holding on your target and having a solid follow through and tirgger pull does not effect accuracy.

I think thats completely bogus seeing how jerking the trigger on even a rifle will effect accuracy and through my personal experience an inconsistent trigger pull has resulted in wider less consistent groups.

Thoughts?
Old 06-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pure trigger pull/ Follow Through

In my opinion the trigger pull is the SINGLE most important factor determining where the projetile will land, assuming all other factors (bedding, barrel twist, appropriate ammo, etc, etc) are constant. No firearm with a 5 lk pull weight trigger can (normally) shoot as well as one with say a 2.5 lb trigger pull w/o creep, and minimal "follow through"
Once rthe trigger breaks there should be NO followthrough, it should stop moving.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Bedding can change a POI from shot to shot when talking about precision shooting and counting groups in thousands. Same goes with poor barrels that change shape and direction with heat etc. But as Cossack said trigger characteristics are important. The trigger must break like a glass rod and cleanly enough as to not give the shooter an idea as to when it breaks. Too heavy of a trigger as well as one that creeps is bad. Over travel can destroy groups buy not allowing follow through. I've never shot a firearm with an inconsistant trigger but if I had one I would burn it.
When shooting in any position with anything follow through is ultra important as well as well as holding steady on a target. Just how much did this fella have to drink before dreaming this up? I can only think the guy was a local bar fly.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

also the position of the finger on the trigger can make or break a shot,you find this to be more relivant shooting a pistol freehand.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

Rocken -

I'm in agreement 100%.
I have a bow I am very happy with....now that I've altered the trigger.
This bow had a very crisp, BUT long pull. The overtravel is also very acceptable. I found myself slowly pulling on the trigger and having my concentration pulled from the target and put on the trigger pull.
I took it apart, smoothed, polished and altered the letoff location. I did not however alter any spring loading.

By doing this, I removed about 1/2 to 2/3 of the travel, the pull is now very smooth which also helps the overall feel and travel perception.
Now...I no longer find myself thinking...."when is this thing gonna release?"

So yea...whether it's realized or not...I doubt many people can truly think "past" a bad trigger and stay on target.
This is not a put down...but I think many just give the trigger a heafty tug and don't realize better bow control can be had by a lighter squeeze, and in turn, not jerk the bow around.

Just like a rifle or hand gun...asmooth/short trigger pull is always better for the projectile to hit it's intended target better.

Mike
Old 06-13-2008, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

at 10 years old ,dad started us out with savage model 99 lever action in 250/300 sav.
we still use same guns .
savage has a lot of creep in trigger.

this was made this way for SAFETY .

he would sit us in front of tv at home and we would dry fire on animals on shows in africa.
he was trying to get us to squeeze the trigger.

he stressed that all time,squeeze the trigger.

only shooting a crossbow a little over 1 year now and most important thing i feel is FOLLOW THROUGH until arrow hits the target.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:42 PM
Fork Horn

Sp man -

While I agree with getting used to the in's and out's of a particular trigger is good....there's still no call for a bad trigger action.
Especially with todays materials and manufacturing methods.

Plus...it IS kinda difficult to have the "same" trigger on many manufacturers of crossbows and or fire breathing weapons.

Mike
Old 06-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just recently acquired an Excal Vixen. Until then, my experience with 'modern' crossbow triggers had been with a Whammo about 40 yrs ago and a Barnett Wildcat. I could hit what I aimed at with both of those. Killed many jackrabbits with the old Whammo, as a matter of fact.

But the difference between the triggers on those and this Vixen... All I could say was "O, my Gawd!" Instead of 3" groups at 30 yards with the Wildcat, I have to change dots every shot with the Vixen.

But then, the Whammo and Barnett would always hit what I aimed at. So do my homemade midieval replicas for that matter, even with their primitive 'tickler' triggers. They all shoot more than good enough to kill a deer. It's just the Vixen's trigger allows more precise shooting. Splitting the hair I aim at instead of hitting the hair next to it.

I have to agree with sproulman. While there might be no reason for manufacturers to make crappy triggers these days, they still make 'em on some models. No matter what trigger you've got, you have to execute the shot. Concentration and follow through... and practice, practice and more practice... are the keys to making a good shot. A good trigger will make a good shot better, but it won't change a hack into a marksman.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

From a technique perspective, pulling the trigger correctly is what keeps the sights on target as you pull. If you yank the trigger, the sights will move off target. If you are trying to hit an elephant at 10 paces, maybe it doesn't matter. Trying to shoot under 2" at 100 yards requires careful application of pressure to the trigger while holding the sights on target. The squeeze is all about allowing your body to resist the trigger pull forces while keeping the sights on target.

Follow through is all about what happened just as the trigger broke. If your follow through is consistent,the break will be consistent so if youmove the gun a certain way at break, it will be the same direction and amount everytime.