HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Why shoot a xbow over compound? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/242054-why-shoot-xbow-over-compound.html)

jerseyhunter 04-12-2008 02:31 PM

Why shoot a xbow over compound?

Not to start anything, but since they will soon be legal in my state. Why do you choose to shoot a compound vs. compound or trad.? Other than health reasons of course.

ranger56528 04-12-2008 02:42 PM

RE: Why shoot a xbow over compound?

just another type of bow to use.....I got my Crossbow's due to shoulder injury but now that its fixed I will still use it during gun season because its legal now in my state.Now I can shot compound,recurve,longbow and crossbow.Best of all four worlds.

Dnk 04-12-2008 02:51 PM

Well I choose the crossbow as well as my compounds, recurves and long bow. I am more prone to use the crossbow when wear more clothing. For me that late season use of the crossbow is more about being moral. I am much less likely to wound an animal. Something that the "elite" should consider when shutting up!

KLV 04-12-2008 03:09 PM

It's not really an either or proposition. I shoot compound bow (Pope and Young member, though a little disgruntled with their selfish anti-hunter/anti-crossbow attitude at the moment) and crossbow.

There really is little difference, especially with all the 80% let-off compound bows that do away with a lot of the movement of drawing, since they can be held so long at full draw ([eg.] my dad and I timed a woman who drew to early, hold her compound for 4 min 11 sec before shooting an antelope). I shoot a compound with only 60% let-off and if I hunt from a blind-which I've only done once-I think it's more manuverable than a crossbow. From a tree stand, again, 80% let-off compound bow vs. crossbow: no difference.

Crossbows are just plain fun to shoot. I don't think I've enjoyed anything (and I shot handguns competitively) as much as I enjoy hunting and shooting crossbows. It' a hobby I will carry long into my old age.

jerseyhunter 04-12-2008 04:03 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Something that the "elite" should consider when shutting up!

I hope that wasn't aimed at me.

Dnk 04-12-2008 04:40 PM

ORIGINAL: jerseyhunter

Thanks for the replies.

Something that the "elite" should consider when shutting up!

I hope that wasn't aimed at me.
Not even close. The "elite" won't try to educate themselves and or ask questions. They are ignorant (as in don't know) and will remain ignorant and pontiferous. In other words, they know nothing about crossbows and when they speak of them they say a lot about nothing. You, on the other hand want to know. It shows a willing, open mind that is willing to educate themselves.

ranger56528 04-12-2008 05:32 PM

BROVO...

wabi 04-13-2008 08:49 AM

I shoot recurve, longbow, compound and crossbow.
All are legal for archery season here, and all have their place in my hunting.
The longbow or recurve can't be beat for a quick shot at undetermined range, so for stillhunting they are my choice. The compound (with sights) or crossbow require yardage be know for best accuracy, so for a blind or stand they get chosen.
My #1 choice would be a recurve for stillhunting and the crossbow for blind/stand hunting simply because I shoot them the best.

Urban Legend 04-13-2008 11:21 AM

As you can see most of us crossbow guys aren't really crossbow only guys. We are bowhunters. We hunt with what we feel like hunting with and those of us that are lucky enough have the option of choosing what type of bow we want to hunt with when we want to hunt with it. The crossbow just give the hunter yet another effective means of harvesting game.

RockinChair 04-13-2008 05:06 PM

I started shooting a crossbow 3 years ago, when I was 16. I started with a crossbow because I wanted a longer season, more time in the woods, and to introduce myself to bow hunting. I still crossbow hunt but and will for the rest of my life, God-willing. But I also want to take up the compound sometime too. Even still, I'll stil have my trusty crossbow.

Its like UL said, we arent just crossbow guys, we are bowhunters too.

907Alaska 04-13-2008 05:18 PM

ORIGINAL: wabi

I shoot recurve, longbow, compound and crossbow.
All are legal for archery season here, and all have their place in my hunting.

X2...I utilize everything I have.

Pydpiper 04-14-2008 06:13 AM

These type of threads have really evolved into something worth reading, the last year alone has been a monumental step toward people taking the time to educate themselves on other forms of archery with an open mind.
I too shoot compound and a crossbow. The only difference I can find in the two variations of the sport are the people who participate in them, crossbow people love archery, compound people love themselves.

Hotburn76 04-14-2008 04:02 PM

The main reason for me was no one around to show me how to shoot a compound when I was in high school. When I was fourteen I think, a friend sold me a old browning compound for fourty bucks. That spring dad spent alot of time at the pro shop getting alot of undirectional advice, try this, try that, you have to find what works for you and your bow, BLA BLA BLA. No one in my family had ever archery hunted. After alot of money, at least to my dad, and me having not the best of luck he had enough and a guy at work told him to get me a crossbow. That Christmas he bought me a Horton Supermag and I have been using one ever since. There was one guy that we knew that said he would help me, but would not take me out since it was "his" spot and did not want to mess up "his" season. Chances are if there was someone that would have spent time with me I would probably be a compound only guy, but dad put the CB in my hands and I have been just as happy the last seventeen years. My main goal is to spend most of October and November in the woods, and also havedeer meat to eat. If the DNR said I could do it with a 50-BMG for four months, well I might do that to! I haveno desire to do it the hard way or prove something to myself, I like the woods and I like deer meat.

kmtpr 04-14-2008 06:35 PM

Hi Jersey Hunter. Am sure you recognize me from NJH. I've been a xbow advocate for almost a year, now. As you already know, I am a non-hunter, but I am "pro" hunting, fishing, etc. For myself, I hope to get a xbow, eventually. Wish to use one for target shooting. Have been shooting handguns for 28 yrs, but would like to expand on that with a bow and the xbow would be the only kind of bow that I might be able to use. I am unable to pull back the min Wt required using a compound. And, of course, I could never pull back using a recurve, but they are beautiful bows.

Have shot 4 xbows, but so far haven't found the right one for me. Problem is they have been too heavy. Hope to be able to try the Vixen and Phoenix, both by Excalibur. And, who knows, I might even get out in the woods, yet. Have a few nephews who want to get me out there, LOL!! As of now, I have some personal commitments that I have to tend to before I even attempt to get out there. I would also like to see "all" bowhunters unite to have a large voice against anti groups!! Kathy ;)

Arthur P 04-15-2008 08:53 AM

Why shoot a crossbow instead of a compound?

So I can gripe about the tree limbs being too close together instead of too low. [8D]

smokepolehall 04-16-2008 05:30 AM

I started shooting Bows in 1958, i have always had an open mind on them. I had a friend in grade school who had and old CB. we would shoot it and my Longbow. I thought all of the Bows were the cats meow and still do. I haven't shot any Bows other than my CB's now for 2 years. Regular Bows put bad strain on my back and shoulder. [:o]

Moonkryket 04-26-2008 05:19 PM

As an avid bowhunter for 43 years and literal archery fanatic, I put crossbows in a league by themselves for one simple reason and that is: If we live long enough, most of us will get to the point we won't be able to draw avertical bow of any type and the crossbow is a life saver for bowhunters at that point in our lives. NO other bow can do that. Just as important, if not more, is what crossbows do for handicapped bowhunters. No other bow can do that. There is nothing more important IMHO than to keep bowhunters in the sport doing what they love to do. Bottom line:-)

With the above in mind, I find it almost impossible to believe how crossbows are frowned upon by some bowhunting groups that seem perfectly happy to shut older bowhunters out of the sport. I've tried to come up with one word to describe their thinking and can't. It's beyond belief for me how inconsiderate and uncaring folks in our sport can be even as sport hunting continues to be ever increasingly bombarded by anti-hunting groups that are dedicated to end all hunting. Guess which one will be the first to go?

I'm in a local archery club , and have been off and on for about 40 years,and nowmade to feel as an outcast by club leaders because I can't shoot a vertical bow anymore due to arthritis in my neck and shoulder. My 2 Bear takedown recurves hanging in my shop constantly remind me of my younger years and how much archery has meant to me. What a shame. I'll keep fighting the fight in an effort to get more reasonable folks to over ride theselfish attitudes some in their midst have.

With that said, I'd still be shooting my recurves and longbows if I could.

kmtpr 04-27-2008 07:12 PM

Moonkryket, nice pic and good post. I am glad you are still able to hunt using a xbow. As you say, some bowhunting groups just don't seem to want to unite with all hunters regarding this issue. It is a damn shame, IMHO. I am part of a newly formed pro xbow org, and we are for all hunter's rights. You might be familiar with it, and if not, check out the site. It is noted in my sig below. Best wishes and good luck to you and hope you can continue to hunt for years ahead. :D
"K"

Moonkryket 04-28-2008 08:13 PM

Keep us posted on your progress. Strength is in numbers. Thanks! I still have2 Bear Mag Takedownsfor sale in 60 and 65 lbs :-(

excalibur43 04-29-2008 01:26 AM

I have an Excalibur that I bought after having elbow surgery 2 years ago. I have kept it, and still use it because there is a couple of well traveled deer funnels in my area that have no trees big enough to put a stand in. I just made a ground blind and use the Excalibur in those areas.