Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 I will need a crossbow... >

I will need a crossbow...

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

I will need a crossbow...

Old 03-29-2008, 12:04 PM

Default I will need a crossbow...

So I am having open heart surgery in June and I wont be able to pull a bow back by season this fall. I will need a crossbow and a disabled permit. I am sure to only need it one season for now seeing as i am only 22 and you cant use them in wi without a disabled or 65+ years old.

Any one have any suggestions on where to find one cheap but still have quality and what brand I should look into?

Thanks pines
Old 03-29-2008, 01:41 PM
Banned

Default RE: I will need a crossbow...

You might find a good used Excaliber Phoenix or a Ten point TL-7 or similar model. Those are two are the manufacturers that I would recommend you stay with!! Don't know whatyou mean by "cheap?? asyou might find one in the $400 range.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

Just got an Excalibur Phoenix and they can be had for $400 new. Though a non compound crossbow ain't easy to pull back even with a rope cocker. You might need the crank cocker if getting an Excalibur.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

Check out the Parker Buck Buster. Great little bow package and it is easy to pull back by comparison. they are only about $400.00 complete...
Wyvern
Old 03-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take a look at the Horton Explorer package.. I think they offer a great package between 350-400, dont quote me on that thought. Best of luck with your surgery too, may I ask what cirumstances call for this surgery?
Old 03-29-2008, 09:12 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Theinespines3

So I am having open heart surgery in June and I wont be able to pull a bow back by season this fall. I will need a crossbow and a disabled permit. I am sure to only need it one season for now seeing as i am only 22 and you cant use them in wi without a disabled or 65+ years old.

Any one have any suggestions on where to find one cheap but still have quality and what brand I should look into?

Thanks pines

I could very well be wrong but I think a surgery like that will get you a permanent crossbow permit, or at least a 5 year one, my old man had heart surgery a few years back and got a permanent permit because of it

I'm in wisconsin too and it really doesnt take much to get a crossbow permit, but it does take a permanent disability(which I think heart surgery falls into), its all up to the doctor filling out the formandmost doctors/chiroprators I've talked to seempretty willing to help if you explain the situation
Old 03-29-2008, 09:15 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

pines3 i had open heart done, take your time and get your self back in shape before you try anything stupid. Your body will take a good hit,but if you listen to the doc, you might be able to hunt with a low poundage bow or with a xbow, but get some one or a cocking aid to help cock the xbow. Best of luck and good hunting Rich
Old 03-30-2008, 06:58 PM

Well my surgery will be done at Childrens Hospital of Wisconsin and I will be having the base or my Aorta replaced. I have marfans syndrome and thats what i am having this for.

I have had 3 brothers, a mom, and grandpa all have the surgery so i know they will be fine.

I dont plan to rush the recovery and I have already got the doctor to say he will sign off on the papers to get a cross bow.

I am very broke....College takes all of my money!!! So i am looking to get a used one somewhere.

If anyone is selling.....Let me know...

Thanks for the imput guys.
Any other tips on set up and use would be great!!!!
Pines